FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Going through my supplies, I found a bunch of Spatulata flower pods that I had forgotten about. I used a fine Chinois sieve to see about separating the seeds from the flower pods, and it worked to a point. There was a lot of fine debris that was small enough to make it through the fine mesh. Rather than crush the remaining pods and make more debris, I just separated the pods from the debris.
I'm sure there are seeds left in the pods, and I know there are dozens, if not hundreds of seeds in the debris.
Due to the debris, both of these packs are probably best for an outdoor bog as the debris would likely encourage fungus indoors. However, you could possibly start them outdoors this Spring and go from there, or you could separate the seeds from the debris/pods if you're bored.
The mystery seeds are just that, a mystery. I found three seeds stuck to some tape on a small envelope. The envelope looks like it was originally labeled as Binata "Coramandel NZ", then that was scratched out and labeled "Mix". They're round and kinda big for Drosera, I really have no idea what they are. Byblis?
Both giveaways will be on this thread, and you can enter both if you'd like. The Spats will be on a numbered sub-thread with two winners.

1. You
2. Not you
4. No three! For every three I shall kill you!

The mystery seeds will be on a lettered sub-thread with one winner.

A. You
B. Not you
D. No third letter (See #4 above ^^^^)

Open to all members, domestic and international, I'll cover postage. Don't delete any entries. I have to go out of town for a week, so the drawing will be next weekend when I get back.
Good luck.
Shadowtski liked this
By evenwind
If it helps anybody decide, Spat seeds aren't that hard to separate from the debris since they're basically round(-ish). What I do is take a typewriter-sized sheet of paper(for those unfamiliar, a typewriter is a combination keyboard and printer with no memory), fold it in half with a sharp crease and then let it unfold to almost flat (forming a very shallow "V") and hold from underneath with one hand. I dump a small portion of seed/debris mix to the sides of the central crease and gently tap the paper. The roundish seeds roll to the crease. You then brush off the obvious leftover debris and repeat the process until there's mainly just seeds gathered in the crease. You can then tip the paper with the edge of the crease over a seed container, tap it, and most of the seeds will roll into the container. Or you tip them onto a second sheet of creased paper and repeat the process until you're satisfied or bored. It's easier than it might sound. FWIW
Benny, Supercazzola liked this
By ChefDean
Artie101 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:21 am Hi please enter me in the draw Artie101 cheers
There are two drawings, which one are you referring to?
Re-read the original post to see how to enter.
By Panman
Spat Seed Giveaway
1. Panman
Last edited by Panman on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:08 pm
Artie101 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:12 pm Spat Seed Giveaway
1. Panman
2. Supercazzola
4. Artie101

(Fixed that for ya!)
You might want to read the rules again Artie101
That was me, I edited his entry because it was a little hinky and had accidentally removed Supercazzola. I didn't specify that I had rectified the mistake, that's now been clarified as well.
Sorry.
By ChefDean
Supercazzola wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:02 am umm no anything resembling the third (either numeric or alpha)... Read the rules.
tenor.gif
Couldn't even follow my own rules. Situation is rectified.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!