FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Leanne Mahoney
All the advice I looked up said to cut off the VFT flower stem. However, mine has now produced some new traps about a third of the way up the stem. Do I just leave it? Can I cut it off and plant it to make a new plant? If so, where do I cut it?
Attachments:
New traps are ON the flower stem
New traps are ON the flower stem
B066534A-CBC6-47E0-9E80-E02FFE30977B.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 3906 times
Supercazzola liked this
By ChefDean
The flower stem is big enough that it's now a moot point of cutting it to save the plant some energy. The plant isn't going to exert much more energy into its production. However, it could be cut and put into the media, with the portion that has the traps just under the media surface, making sure that there is very good contact with the moss to help tell the strike to put roots here.
Do the same with the rest of the flower stalk and you might get more strikes off it.
Good luck, that's very cool.
By MikeB
Congratulations! You're the lucky recipient of false vivipary. This is the name for when one or more plants sprout on the flower stalk. Most of these plants are small, but yours is the largest plant that I've ever seen like this. It's ready to get a pot of its own and say good-bye to mom. I'd cut the stalk about 1 inch / 25 mm above and below the plant, then put it in some damp sphagnum moss or carnivorous plant soil so it can grow roots.
Panman liked this
By Leanne Mahoney
Thanks MikeB! I’ve done as you suggested - and I also repotted the main plant as it looked very sad. A tiny little new bulb and trap came apart from the main plant so I have planted that too. I hope they survive!
Attachments:
7F1AB577-EB5A-4E11-BCA7-B15CA7AAAD27.jpeg
7F1AB577-EB5A-4E11-BCA7-B15CA7AAAD27.jpeg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 3766 times
By Panman
That may be planted a little bit too deep. Where the leaf comes off of the rhizome should be right at the surface of the soil. Also, you will want to keep it in a plastic bag for a month or so until it can develop roots.
Apollyon, Matt, MikeB liked this
By Apollyon
Agree with @Panman, the soil level is too high. The white portion of the rhizome needs to be covered but there shouldn't be media in the center of the crown. The leaves will struggle to break through. Maybe you can take off some of the top layer rather than replanting but I wouldn't leave it as it is.
Matt liked this

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!