FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sp0nser
My drosera macrophylla died back now and i dug up these tubers, what do i do with them, do i plant them back? Or store them for next winter?
Attachments:
20210113_110502.jpg
20210113_110502.jpg (3.03 MiB) Viewed 2972 times
By Apollyon
The "eye" faces upwards where the shoot will come out from. Congrats on a successful season though!
Sp0nser liked this
By Apollyon
I'm definitely not a pro with tuberous species but they look healthy. There's a lot of debate about how to keep them. Some store them in the dark in bags, some keep them in the pots all year and just don't water them. After they let the bottom of the tray dry out they put the pot in a bag and keep it sealed throughout the dry season. I would suggest finding info on keeping this particular tuberous species because they do vary. I mean it wouldn't hurt to pot them back up. they stay in the ground in nature. When my plants wrap up their cycle I'm going to dig up the pots and plant all of the tubers in a single pot and just keep them there for the next season.
By nimbulan
I'm a bit worried that the plants went dormant for you in the middle of the growing season. What sort of conditions have you been providing?
By Sp0nser
nimbulan wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:57 am I'm a bit worried that the plants went dormant for you in the middle of the growing season. What sort of conditions have you been providing?
I leave them outside in a tray with about 60-70 degree weather each day, it got some sun but not alot, so basically i grew it outside in the sun
By Apollyon
Just curious, did you ever have a temperature spike or "heat wave" (relatively speaking) during the growing season? I do remember you posting a thread a few months back about getting it. Was the plant awake when you received it? It's possible it may have run its course naturally because of different conditions. Indoors, mine have been consistently growing but they germinated in Sept-Oct and the temps have been static. I debated growing mine outside but temps here can sometimes spike over 80 in the early winter so I didn't chance it. May try a couple tubers out next year though now that I have some to work with.
By DeadlyCarnivore
It seems like the spike triggered an early dormancy. What I did with my tubers is stored them in a bag with some moist, barely moist soil. I keep them out of direct light as well when they're in dormancy. Its easier to check on them in case they rot while they are in a bag. I am pretty new to growing them so I am not sure if you should keep them dormant or try to get them to go out of dormancy for the rest of the growing season...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By nimbulan
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:I am pretty new to growing them so I am not sure if you should keep them dormant or try to get them to go out of dormancy for the rest of the growing season...
I wouldn't ever attempt to force the plants to grow - you're far more likely to rot the tubers with any attempt. You just have to provide the best seasonal conditions you can and let them do their thing.

In any case I would strongly recommend avoiding subjecting the plants to heat waves during winter, since it makes tracking the growth/dormancy cycles more difficult, and the plants are going to have a hard time growing larger when their growing season gets cut short.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!