FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By cryostasis
Jist now one of the vft here that is currently left by a friend to be taken care off is showing this nice traps. But since this is the first time I am growing a red one and I remember akai ryu only shows pure red traps based on images from the net however this one seems different. Is there another clone of an akai ryu that im not aware off? The lashes are kinda short.
ImageImageImage

I always get typo when using my phone. If there is one im sorry.
By Apollyon
I feel like that one got mislabeled a lot, about every time someone had a red seed grown vft and tried to sell it :/ There are other red cultivars out there but I don't know if that is one or not. 'Crimson Sawtooth' comes to mind. Hopefully Matt or someone sees this and can help you out.
By cryostasis
Apollyon wrote:I feel like that one got mislabeled a lot, about every time someone had a red seed grown vft and tried to sell it :/ There are other red cultivars out there but I don't know if that is one or not. 'Crimson Sawtooth' comes to mind. Hopefully Matt or someone sees this and can help you out.
I check crimson sawtooth and it looks similar I also saw a post from a different forum about scarlet bristletooth and bohemian garnet. But if it my friend cannot find the label might as well name it as a typical unless he finds the correct id. He paid around $25 for this one plant alone.

By MikeB
The coloration of Akai Ryu depends a lot on the intensity and duration of the sunlight. Here is a picture of the ones that my friend was selling at the North Carolina state farmers' market:
Red Dragon flytraps at the farmers' market.jpg
Red Dragon flytraps at the farmers' market.jpg (720.01 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
These plants were grown in a hoop house. They got lots of sunlight, but it was muted by the "foggy" effect of the plastic sheeting. Their coloration is similar to your friend's plant.

Here is a pic of my Akai Ryu plants:
My Red Dragon VFTs.jpg
My Red Dragon VFTs.jpg (665.44 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
They look a bit shabby because dormancy is setting in. However, you can see that the petioles and traps show little-to-no sign of green. My plants get 6+ hours of direct, unfiltered sun, and they're solid burgundy during the summer.

I agree with Apollyon: your friend's flytrap looks like a red dentate/sawtooth/bristletooth plant.
By cryostasis
MikeB wrote:The coloration of Akai Ryu depends a lot on the intensity and duration of the sunlight. Here is a picture of the ones that my friend was selling at the North Carolina state farmers' market:
Red Dragon flytraps at the farmers' market.jpg
These plants were grown in a hoop house. They got lots of sunlight, but it was muted by the "foggy" effect of the plastic sheeting. Their coloration is similar to your friend's plant.

Here is a pic of my Akai Ryu plants:
My Red Dragon VFTs.jpg
They look a bit shabby because dormancy is setting in. However, you can see that the petioles and traps show little-to-no sign of green. My plants get 6+ hours of direct, unfiltered sun, and they're solid burgundy during the summer.

I agree with Apollyon: your friend's flytrap looks like a red dentate/sawtooth/bristletooth plant.
I see im currenrly doing it indoors.

By cryostasis
Red ones really grow very slow. Heres a more closeup picture :)
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my BISON using Tapatalk
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!