FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Eventerminator
For the past few weeks growing my carnivorous plants I have not been paying attention to how much water to give them. I assumed that because of the hot and dry climate here that just watering them every day will be ok. But now I worry I'm keeping them too wet. The top soil is a dark colour similar to when I first made my soil mix. Is the colour of the soil a good indicator? I can't tell when digging the soil or when lifting the pot.

I use the water tray method and my tallest pots are 12cm in height. I've been watering up until their is 0.5cm to 1cm of water at most, letting the tray dry before watering again.
By Matt
Flytraps must have their soil damp at all times but if it is soaking wet for too long, it can lead to problems. The color of the soil can, in some cases, indicate how wet it is but that's not the best indicator. I recommend sticking your finger down into the soil to see if it is still damp. If you feel moisture, then it is good. If you can barely feel any moisture, it is time to water. If water squeezes out of the soil when you stick your finger into it, it is too wet.
Eventerminator liked this
By MikeB
I can tell how damp my plants are by the weight of their pots. Give one a good drink of water, then lift the pot and feel the weight. After a couple days, lift the pot again. If it still feels heavy, then it has a fair amount of water. If it feels noticeably lighter, then the water is gone, and the plant probably needs another drink. After a while, you'll be able to judge how damp it is by how light it feels.
93pirks, Eventerminator liked this
By Matt
MikeB wrote:I can tell how damp my plants are by the weight of their pots. Give one a good drink of water, then lift the pot and feel the weight. After a couple days, lift the pot again. If it still feels heavy, then it has a fair amount of water. If it feels noticeably lighter, then the water is gone, and the plant probably needs another drink. After a while, you'll be able to judge how damp it is by how light it feels.
This is another great way to know when to water. I use this along with the "finger feel" method I described above.
By Eventerminator
@Matt,

I've just used the finger feel method and I felt that it was damp and dusty. I didn't see any water squeeze out so I guess its moist? Also I forgot to mention there is this green thing carpeting the top of the soil.
By Matt
Eventerminator wrote:I've just used the finger feel method and I felt that it was damp and dusty. I didn't see any water squeeze out so I guess its moist?
Yep, that sounds like the ideal moisture level! The longer the moisture stays at that level, the better. Flytraps love a damp, but not overly wet (and NEVER dry) soil. They grow very, very well in those conditions. It is easier to keep that moisture level for many days in larger pots.
Eventerminator wrote:Also I forgot to mention there is this green thing carpeting the top of the soil.
Sounds like carpet moss or algae. Algae can be prevented by keeping the moisture level correct. Carpet moss is a nuisance and requires a repot to get rid of or it can continue to grow to the point where it will choke out flytraps and keep them from growing optimally.
Eventerminator liked this
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!