FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Z_Y wrote:Yours is looking good! I'm still waiting on mine to express some thick peristomes.

Are you putting yours into dormancy? I think I'm about to move mine to a lower photoperiod and slightly cooler temps for a few months.
Thanks! Honestly I was debating it but I can't really give the plant lower temps without sticking it outside. I'm still considering trying that. I have an extra HG I think I'm going to stick outside to see how it does. This one I'm not going to yet though. Perhaps when I get a division or I try to prop with a leaf pulling. I think I may put it on my lower shelf where the lights turn off earlier and hope that'll trigger some kind of dormancy. I hear they come back better if they do have one.
By Apollyon
An update: Looks like my EB is beginning to throw out a second flush of growth now. Pitchers are starting to pile on top of each other lol. It's interesting how it will partially inflate its pitcher to be able to pass through to the light. This has been a fun plant to grow and observe. By far my most vigorous ceph. Started growing my other cephs similar to this one though and they're starting to do well too. The color is better but it still has a bit to go. Planning on putting it in a 5in Hydropot tomorrow. which'll push the plant about 3-4 inches below the yescom. I'm beginning to see the roots through the drainholes and I'm hoping it'll throw out some divisions and grow better in a larger container.

ImageImageImage
MikeB liked this
By francisfaustino
From my email conversations with Stephen Morley, he said that one of the parents of the Eden Black is the Vigorous Clumping.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
Got the plant upgraded into a 5x5x7 Hydrofarm pot bringing the plant closer to the LED. I did a slip pot and made the rest of the media a 50/50 mix of LFS/Perlite. The root system was pretty intense, definitely time for an upgrade. Having the plant resting above the top of the pot really emphasized the "clumpiness" of the plant :shock:

ImageImage
By Apollyon
Just an update. The plant is doing well. It's showing more color now after extending the photo period again (had to start late because of some tuberous dews.) Plant is entering another phase of growth and is starting to creep towards the edges of its newer pot. I had pulled back on fertilizing during the "winter" months but I've started getting back into it. I'll have to get some more pics. I'm going to attempt to get some leaves and prop the plant here in the next couple days I think while I can still see them.
Attachments:
20210730_163821.jpg
20210730_163821.jpg (5.98 MiB) Viewed 3225 times
20210730_163728.jpg
20210730_163728.jpg (6.27 MiB) Viewed 3225 times
By MickDangs
Apollyon wrote:Just an update. The plant is doing well. It's showing more color now after extending the photo period again (had to start late because of some tuberous dews.) Plant is entering another phase of growth and is starting to creep towards the edges of its newer pot. I had pulled back on fertilizing during the "winter" months but I've started getting back into it. I'll have to get some more pics. I'm going to attempt to get some leaves and prop the plant here in the next couple days I think while I can still see them.
I don't suppose you'd have any rooted divisions for sale or trade from your propagation attempt. :?
By Apollyon
The leaves were small so they haven't really struck yet lol. That said, I'll probably divide the plant before too long. If you're still interested in a month or two feel free to message me.
By MickDangs
I'll for sure be interested still then! And if they're anything like the typical, I don't think I noticed growth on some pullings for like half a year until I snooped around and saw sprouts in the moss I had them in.
By Apollyon
Alright, sounds good! There's at least a couple divisions in there I'm sure. Hard to say as far as the leaves go. The guy who sold me the plant reported they don't really produce too many non-carnivorous leaves so I pulled them from an immature portion of the plant when I saw them. I just saw some much larger ones hidden behind a couple dead pitchers earlier though that I think I'm going to pull off. For the most part, he's right. The other clones are a lot easier to get leaves from. Pitcher strikes for me is something like 30-40% but I never tried it with this one.

I'm curious about rates for props like that. I've taken ceph cuttings from my hummer's giant and typical about 6 weeks ago and several of them have about 4 leaves of their own now(larger leaves). Others report them taking months. I don't do anything special with mine outside of feeding them maxsea to death lol. They get good light too. I was experimental about the media and did a Nep style 50/25/25 LFS/Perlite/Orchid Bark out of curiosity and keep them domed/often tray watered where I grow live moss. It seems like they might actually like that combination. I'll know for sure if it continues to grow like it has been.
By MickDangs
Apollyon wrote:Alright, sounds good! There's at least a couple divisions in there I'm sure. Hard to say as far as the leaves go. The guy who sold me the plant reported they don't really produce too many non-carnivorous leaves so I pulled them from an immature portion of the plant when I saw them. I just saw some much larger ones hidden behind a couple dead pitchers earlier though that I think I'm going to pull off. For the most part, he's right. The other clones are a lot easier to get leaves from. Pitcher strikes for me is something like 30-40% but I never tried it with this one.

I'm curious about rates for props like that. I've taken ceph cuttings from my hummer's giant and typical about 6 weeks ago and several of them have about 4 leaves of their own now(larger leaves). Others report them taking months. I don't do anything special with mine outside of feeding them maxsea to death lol. They get good light too. I was experimental about the media and did a Nep style 50/25/25 LFS/Perlite/Orchid Bark out of curiosity and keep them domed/often tray watered where I grow live moss. It seems like they might actually like that combination. I'll know for sure if it continues to grow like it has been.
I'll be keeping a closer eye on some cuttings I took of my typical the other day. Mine don't get anything special, maybe I'll notice significant growth on mine in the year if I put in some freeze dried meal worms into pitchers. I do a similar mix for mine, with just a little peat mass because I use self watering pots for my adult plants and they've gotten by for years. The only thing I learned was when I transplanted my mother plant after several years was that I needed to cover them after cause they shriveled up and needed the extra effort to recover. Here are some cuttings I took a year ago with some really dark red pitchers. So I imagine if I put EB under the same conditions I'd see some darker ones :shock:
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!