FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:That one in back is huge! The heck are you feeding it?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
lmao right? It casts a shadow over all the others. An outlier if I've ever seen one. I feed it Maxsea 1/2 tsp per gallon once a week fine, light mist. and a box of wheaties per day. I experimented with some of my others that I didn't plant before. Filifolia Giant and Guehoi, as well as more aquatica. I think the weak mother plant (aquatica)is dying off so it's all propagation now. I had complications with the mixture, added some water and let it sit roughly 40 hours anywhere from 300-500ppm. I thought I roasted them but I saw my first sprouts from the other plants today. Unfortunately I don't think I have enough light on the back end of the tray so I think only half the pots will germinate. Still, it was a success. The Aquaticas of mine have taken much longer than the others. They creep out but they grow pretty vigorously once they do move.
By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:Just the maxsea and no bloodworms?

No I haven't given them bloodworms yet. Sometimes I'll do that at random but not on the seedlings. Tbh, I have a lot of sprouts all over the place and I would get lazy. When they're so small, feeding them would be tedious. I do like to give bloodworms as an interim boost between fertilizing. When they go uncovered, I'll start doing it. They'll mold up in the conditions they're in. I would imagine its a lot safer though.
By Apollyon
An update. My monster Rorida truly eclipses all the others and is now flowering. It now needs a stake for support.. Had one of the weaker seedlings die off but it looks like the other is finally starting to get in the game. I transplanted the seedlings and after acclimation a lot of them started moving. My aquatica robust form offspring is developing its first flower. Hoping to create a robust form x rorida hybrid with the stockiness of the aquatica with the the roridas color and mucilage. After my first go I germinated some filifolia ans guehoi, both are doing well under my t5s. The growth rate of those was pretty impressive. Theyre about 6 weeks old now. I noticed that the base of the stem is more narrow on tham, making the plants top heavy. The aquatica RB doesn't have that characteristic. It is flush to the ground. Going to prop some seeds and then proceed towards some hybrids. Im wondering if there is a way to "mark" a flower so I don't get them mixed up.

On a side note, they are exceptional at catching mosquitos and ive found they feed just fine inside compared to my sundews. :D
Attachments:
20201201_112306.jpg
20201201_112306.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 6359 times
20201130_182204.jpg
20201130_182204.jpg (3.39 MiB) Viewed 6359 times
By murrkywaters
My rorida are struggling after a fungal infection but I do have a new seedling in a pot I assumed dead so idk. My guehoi on the other hand are going nuts. Let me know if you get seeds. I'd like another stab at it.

By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:My rorida are struggling after a fungal infection but I do have a new seedling in a pot I assumed dead so idk. My guehoi on the other hand are going nuts. Let me know if you get seeds. I'd like another stab at it.

Sure thing man. I'm going to have to wait for the second one to bloom before I can get a "pure" species seed; though I did experiment with self pollinating from different flowers. Interested to see how that'll go. I know they say they aren't self compatible though people claim to have selfed species that were previously thought to be incompatible. I know for a while there they thought liniflora was the only species that could.

If you'd like to try a hybrid out though, I can see what kind of seed production I get out of crossing my two "mature" plants. Maybe it'll be a more sturdy plant. I'll be doing Aquatica RB x Rorida and Rorida x RB. Going to try both sides and see what comes from them like if their hybridization is like Nepenthes. I like that there isn't a whole lot of knowledge on the stuff.
By Apollyon
Been trying to cross pollinate my rorida and Aquatica robust form and I believe it may have taken. I'm just waiting to see if the bud swells up. The other Rorida is pretty stunted and one died back so I planted the rest of one of the rorida packets a couple weeks ago. I noticed germination yesterday. I did it open air this time so that may have contributed to the delay but I won't need to acclimate at all. Hoping they'll grow and support each other but also hoping to get some decent genetics to pollinate with. I love this genus its just a shame the nicest ones are annuals.

The real stars appear to be the filifolia and guehoi. Funny because I didn't think I'd like either of them at all before I grew them. They're getting to be impressive though, the guehoi is completely covered with mucilage. The filifolia giant is living up to its name. The plants are starting to become large and still haven't developed their first buds yet. I'm hoping I can get some good crosses (and species seed). They all seem to have their own quirks but they've been a lot of fun to watch.
Attachments:
20201217_151300.jpg
20201217_151300.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 6204 times
Matt liked this
By murrkywaters
Exciting! My liniflora is now budding, so fingers crossed another goes off at the same time. I'm going to try to cross it with a guehoi

Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
That sounds like it'd be really interesting. My liniflora just got its first flower but I didn't use Fishman's seeds, I think I'm going to though. The other seeds gave me two plants from my first attempt but they sat forever. Just recently got a spurt of growth from them and a flower. The plant stalk is only like 1.5-2inches though. Is that how yours have been growing? I bought some stakes for the guehoi, it's actually taller than the filifolia but I let it run wild so the plant went off on it's side and then curved back up towards the light. It's very delicate compared to the others
By Apollyon
Just a couple pics of how they're looking right now. The Aquatica looks like its going to branch out and the Rorida may need to get moved. The Liniflora appears to have finally woken up but is still very small compared to the others
Liniflora
Liniflora
20201222_215431.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 6113 times
Rorida
Rorida
20201222_215410.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 6113 times
Aquatica Robust Form
Aquatica Robust Form
20201222_215402.jpg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 6113 times
By Apollyon
Indeed it is :lol: There are two of them actually. Next time I upgrade Im going to drop the T5s and probably go with a larger one
By murrkywaters
I have both the 600 and 1000, and I gotta say the 'upgrade' really only applies to the unit if the dimmer is off, with the dimmer turned all the way to the brightest setting there is a significant drop in light output. If you can get more of the cheaper 600 units I'd go that route. The only exception is if you don't have the vertical space. Just my $.02

Apollyon liked this

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!