FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Darlingtoniafan222
I hear lots of stories that drosera capensis is a very hardy plant, hard to kill. But I also heard it needs a sufficient temperature drop at night, which I don't have. I am one of those weirdos that have never had success with drosera- no joke!! :lol: So I would like help in acclimating a bare root drosera, and how to cultivate it. Most of my issues are mold to let you know. Thanks ;) ;)
By Apollyon
If it's mold try to keep circulating air (or open the container daily) to help prevent it from spreading through. It doesn't really need a temperature drop. The plant does better indoors in hotter climates. If you want to grow a drosera outside look into something like a petiolaris complex or something from that region of Australia. They love heat.
Darlingtoniafan222 liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Capensis and spathulata both don’t need nighttime drops. Some South African species like cuneifolia, hilaris, and ramentacea really seem to appreciate nighttime temp drops, but capensis is probably the easiest Drosera sp. and is practically a weed. Spathulata is a highly distributed species, with some forms even found in China. Almost equally as easy.
Darlingtoniafan222 liked this
By Darlingtoniafan222
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:02 am Capensis and spathulata both don’t need nighttime drops. Some South African species like cuneifolia, hilaris, and ramentacea really seem to appreciate nighttime temp drops, but capensis is probably the easiest Drosera sp. and is practically a weed. Spathulata is a highly distributed species, with some forms even found in China. Almost equally as easy.
So during acclimation, low light, water tray, good circulation? Can it share a pot with flytraps and sarracenia?
By Darlingtoniafan222
Apollyon wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:32 pm If it's mold try to keep circulating air (or open the container daily) to help prevent it from spreading through. It doesn't really need a temperature drop. The plant does better indoors in hotter climates. If you want to grow a drosera outside look into something like a petiolaris complex or something from that region of Australia. They love heat.
Philippines is humid and warm. Would capensis be fine with that? Or should I stick with something else?
By Nepenthes0260
Darlingtoniafan222 wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:02 am Capensis and spathulata both don’t need nighttime drops. Some South African species like cuneifolia, hilaris, and ramentacea really seem to appreciate nighttime temp drops, but capensis is probably the easiest Drosera sp. and is practically a weed. Spathulata is a highly distributed species, with some forms even found in China. Almost equally as easy.
So during acclimation, low light, water tray, good circulation? Can it share a pot with flytraps and sarracenia?
Acclimation is pretty easy, especially for capes and spat, so you don't have to do anything to acclimate them. They'll look rough for a bit, but bagging them helps. Capes are weeds in my sarr pots, but die each year when my sarrs go dormant. They come back from seed they produced the previous year. Although they might be coming back from the roots, I'll have to check. Generally though, capes and spat should be kept warm and bright year round, with minimal seasonal change.
By Darlingtoniafan222
Nepenthes0260 wrote:
Acclimation is pretty easy, especially for capes and spat, so you don't have to do anything to acclimate them. They'll look rough for a bit, but bagging them helps. Capes are weeds in my sarr pots, but die each year when my sarrs go dormant. They come back from seed they produced the previous year. Although they might be coming back from the roots, I'll have to check. Generally though, capes and spat should be kept warm and bright year round, with minimal seasonal change.
Nepenthes0260 wrote:
thanks, I'll keep this in mind.
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Darlingtoniafan222
What about burmanii?
Attachments:
20201216_091557.jpg
20201216_091557.jpg (388.2 KiB) Viewed 4073 times
By Nepenthes0260
Burmannii is a tropical annual, definitely likes warm temps. If it gets too cold it’ll die.
By optique
scatter the seeds then mist with water to force a good contact with the media.

and for temp drops, in my summers in the most extreme heat and sun they get bad looking but bounce back quick when things cool off. i read if you have night time temp drops it stops this effect.

freshly solo potted yesterday
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!