FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By cryostasis
Anyone have any success on germinating utricularia seeds and gensilea?

What is your potting media recommendation?
Can I use coco peat with silica sand as we don't have available peat moss here.
How do you sow and germinate them?

After trying so many times with no success decided to ask here in the forums.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

By twitcher
Sadly, I have not had success with starting Utricularia from seed. I am still exploring that effort. I have successfully obtained seed from arenaria, as well as pubescens, but no success germinating them..

I have tried water germination, peat/sand mixed and chopped LFSM. None succeeded. Note that the seeds I have tried came from my own plants and were, hence, fresh. I have not tried stratification though.

If you do succeed, please share with us. There is very limited information that I can find. Note that the seeds I have tried are from terrestrial varieties. No experience with epiphytic seed starting.

Keep on trying,
Supercazzola liked this
By cryostasis
twitcher wrote:Sadly, I have not had success with starting Utricularia from seed. I am still exploring that effort. I have successfully obtained seed from arenaria, as well as pubescens, but no success germinating them..

I have tried water germination, peat/sand mixed and chopped LFSM. None succeeded. Note that the seeds I have tried came from my own plants and were, hence, fresh. I have not tried stratification though.

If you do succeed, please share with us. There is very limited information that I can find. Note that the seeds I have tried are from terrestrial varieties. No experience with epiphytic seed starting.

Keep on trying,
Hi thanks been trying to grow then as weel since tge start of this year. Not sure how many times I have tried it. Got terrestrial utricularia.

If I do get some germination will share it on this post. Reading the books and googling looks like it was very easy but with trial and error hope we do get at least a nice succeasful germination.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

By cryostasis
Hi just an updated the seeds came from bcp. Seeds are Alpina and Longifolia. Media used is a mixed of sphagnum moss chopped and coco peat withe silica sand rinsed.

I repot the only germinated longifolia.ImageImage

Sent from my BISON using Tapatalk

Supercazzola, twitcher liked this
By twitcher
Appreciate the post and the pics. Just want to note that I consider these to be "epiphyitic/lithophytic" and not terrestrial Utricularia., so the quest for information about terrestrial germination is still a quest here. Very helpful post none the less.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!