FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Dini
I recently bought sphagnum moss to repot my plants but I heard you can also grow them by storing them in a container and adding water and leaving them outdoors with not too much sunlight. I was thinking of letting them grow so i could have more next time when i repot. Am i wrong here?
By MikeB
I just did this with a big clump of sphagnum moss that sprouted in one of my Sarracenia pots. It wasn't able to stay damp enough because it was too high above the water level in the tray. I got a wide, flat bowl leftover from take-out food, put a half inch (about 10-15 mm) of carnivorous plant soil in the bottom, then spread out the moss. The soil may not be necessary, but it won't hurt anything. I gave the moss a big drink of rainwater, then put the bowl on my front porch. It gets to experience the cool weather and 3 hours of late morning/early afternoon sun. I expect the bowl to be full to the brim with sphagnum moss by late spring.
By Panman
I had some maintaining in just water and some with a peat substrate. It seemed to like the peat a lot better and colored up faster. I have them covered to maintain humidity and under florescent lights. They seem to do well in those conditions.
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
I took the lazy route and bought some live sphagnum from etsy and after the fun process of cleaning all the debris and bugs out, I lined it on top of a layer of peat moss in a 1020 tray. Similar to Panman, I use the peat to hold in moisture below the moss and fill it up every couple weeks or so. Mine is growing under lights and covered with a humidity dome and I've harvested from it several times already in the last few months. Indirect sunlight is good, a lot of people grow outside and I'm hoping to do it myself when I can lock in a good place for it. Some take to feeding it, I spray my moss with a balanced maxsea at half strength every 2-3weeks or so and it does pretty well. I'm actually going to make a couple more trays because the moss is so expensive

Please and thank you!

Dang. That is huge!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!