FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
Would anyone be interested in me organizing a Secret Santa? My thought is that gifts would be small, a cutting, leaf pulling, small plant, seeds; anything that would fit in a small Priority Mail box. By participating in this, you would be committing to sending some CP plant gift of the value listed above. If you wanted to do more, that is entirely up to you. This is USA only as international shipping of plant material is not possible for most of us.

If you would like to participate, use the standard giveaway format.
1. This guy
2. That gal
3. Everyone's a winner
4. Etc.

After leaving your name here, PM me your name and address. Next Sunday the 6th, I will randomly pic names and PM the Secret Santa the name and address of their giftee. You would then put your gift in the mail in the next couple of days. You know it is coming so you should have the gift ready. If you can't commit to sending a gift, please do not sign up!

Thoughts?
By Apollyon
1. Panman
2. Adelae - sounds like fun!
3. Hungrycarnivores
4. Apollyon
By sanguinearocks101
I’m definitely interested, but I’m just a bit worried that there may be some people who decide to go cheap and give 10 capensis seeds for example. Maybe someone(Preferably someone who is not participating in the Secret Santa) could make sure that something like that doesn’t happen?
By Apollyon
That's possible but that's a risk with any Secret Santa unfortunately. Usually it's done in a work setting :/ I think the thing that discourages them from doing it is the pressure of those around them. I mean we could guesstimate a "value" for our box and try to reach a minimum/maximum threshold. Say like pinguiculas are usually 20-30 bucks. Have a 20 dollar "retail" minimum. Something like that. I've already come up with some ideas for what I'm going to do with my box. I'll do a small priority flat rate with some various goodies. Unfortunately no capensis seeds :cry:

That aside though, we could do a follow up thread like an "unboxing" deal where we post pics of what we received and what we did with them, etc.
By Panman
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:38 am I’m definitely interested, but I’m just a bit worried that there may be some people who decide to go cheap and give 10 capensis seeds for example. Maybe someone(Preferably someone who is not participating in the Secret Santa) could make sure that something like that doesn’t happen?
There is definitely risk involved. You might get something cool or you might get something that you already have a bunch of. It is always that way at the office white elephant exchanges. Sometimes they are great and sometimes, not so much. I came away with a case of Spam one time. But I still play.

My thought is to pick something slightly above what you might do for a giveaway. Besides, it is about giving, not receiving. Right? ;)
By Panman
I wanted to bump this up and see if anyone else is interested in doing a Secret Santa with us. See the details above and leave your user name if you are interested. I will be assigning the Santas to the giftees and sending out PM with the details.
By elaineo
Will the recipient know who the sender is, or will it just be an unmarked package showing up in the mail? maybe participants should send you the tracking number as proof of shipment?
By Panman
elaineo wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:46 am Will the recipient know who the sender is, or will it just be an unmarked package showing up in the mail? maybe participants should send you the tracking number as proof of shipment?
Those are some good points. I think I will broker the tracking information so that things can be tracked. I am going to leave it up to Santa as to whether or not they would like to disclose their identity. I will know in case there are any problems. Since I print my own postage labels, it will have my return address on it, and I would expect others will have the same. I will finalize the details of the exchange and post them here and in the PM I send with the address of your giftee.
----------------
The following is for everyone:

Another thing that I thought would be helpful is that you update your grow list, or create one if you haven't already. That will give your Santa an idea of what you like and what you have. If you don't have the link to your grow list in your signature, be sure to post it here so your Santa can get at it easily.

I think this is going to be fun.

Panman, Santa's Chief Elf :D
elaineo liked this
By Panman
Hello, Santas! Please check your inbox because I have sent out your giftee information along with some instructions. Please try to get your gift in the mail in the next couple of days, and be sure to send me the tracking information. You might also post back here "Done" so that everyone knows, but don't give away the secret! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
elaineo liked this
By Panman
Hello Santas! I just want to remind everyone to let me know when you ship out your package and to let me know when you receive one. I have gotten a couple of tracking numbers that I have forwarded on and one delivery made by special courier elf. If you would either message me or post back here once you receive a package, that will let us close the loop.

Thanks.
By hungry carnivores
Panman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:37 pm Hello Santas! I just want to remind everyone to let me know when you ship out your package and to let me know when you receive one. I have gotten a couple of tracking numbers that I have forwarded on and one delivery made by special courier elf. If you would either message me or post back here once you receive a package, that will let us close the loop.

Thanks.
Hey, it's currently finals and I've got a bit of work. I have mine almost ready though, just waiting on some gemmae to pop.

I got your SASE for your March request the other d[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!