FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Eventerminator
Hello again!

I got another Sarracenia from a store since it looked different from the light starved Sarracenia Purpurea that I got from before. The label that it went with says that it's a Purpurea but the leaves are a lot more thin and grow more upwards to be the case.
Light starved are thinner and longer
Light starved are thinner and longer
IMG_0328.JPG (2.05 MiB) Viewed 2792 times
Anyway, I just wanted to know if I planted it too deep into the soil since it didn't have any new growth that I could use as a guide. I only had it's white bulb and roots to use.
Shot from the top
Shot from the top
IMG_0329.JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2792 times
Shot from the side
Shot from the side
IMG_0330.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2792 times
Thank you for the replies!
By Apollyon
It looks a little high but I don't think it'll be enough to matter too much. It's the same fight I have with Sarracenia. They're the hardest to plant imo. I try to leave top of the rhizome exposed and able to make the shape of it. From everything I've read though, planting it too high has minimal effects on the plant. You didn't bury the rhizome so it should be fine. Maybe if you can, lightly scrape off a little bit from the top layer. That's a me thing though. There are definitely better Sarracenia growers on this forum. I'm going to take a guess that your plant is some kind of Flava. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
By MikeB
Eventerminator wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:52 amI got another Sarracenia from a store since it looked different from the light starved Sarracenia Purpurea that I got from before. The label that it went with says that it's a Purpurea but the leaves are a lot more thin and grow more upwards to be the case.
That label was placed on the wrong plant. It's way too tall to be a purpurea, light-starved or not. I agree with Apollyon: flava is most likely, followed by rubra. If your plant churns out pitchers that look like medieval trumpets and reach 60-90 centimeters tall, then flava it is.
Eventerminator wrote:Anyway, I just wanted to know if I planted it too deep into the soil since it didn't have any new growth that I could use as a guide. I only had it's white bulb and roots to use.
Soil height-wise, you want to be able to just see the growth point on the rhizome. Take a look at the drawing in this care guide.
Apollyon liked this
By ChefDean
Comparing it to all the Sarrs I potted this year without losing one, it looks to be situated pretty good.
As for the Purpurea label, it could be accurate, but you'll likely need to wait until Spring to be sure. I have two Purps, and I just recently found out that they do put out taller, thinner pitchers not unlike phyllodia produced by other Sarrs. Usually they're indicative of a stress, which being a deathcube Sarr and being repotted are definitely stressors.
Just love it and wait to see what it develops next Spring.
Apollyon liked this
By MikeB
ChefDean wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:19 pmAs for the Purpurea label, it could be accurate, but you'll likely need to wait until Spring to be sure.
His location is Perth, Western Australia. It's the height of summer there. I guess we'll find out soon. ;)
By Eventerminator
Thank you guys for the replies! I will definitely monitor its progress when I finally put it at full sun. I'm currently just acclimating it under my bright pattio.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!