FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fuggle
Hi, I'm fairly new to growing Carnivorous Plants, and was wondering what plants you could suggest I buy which are relatively easy to grow for beginners? I already have a Venus Fly Trap and a Nepenthes X Ventrata (Monkey Cup) and they are both doing well after a year or so. Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Fuggle :D
By murrkywaters
What climate are you in?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Nepenthes0260
Drosera capensis, spathulata, x Tokaiensis, and aliciae are some great and easy sundews. Also Sarracenias are quite easy.
Fuggle liked this
By Apollyon
Pinguicula is also pretty easy for the most part and a lot of them stay small. A lot of them are also more flexible with soil mixes. I second the sundews though. That's a good second choice. The ones he listed are very tough plants
Fuggle liked this
By Fuggle
murrkywaters wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:39 pm What climate are you in?
Hello mate, I'm in the South East of England so warm to hot, humid summers and long, cold winters. ;)
By Fuggle
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:20 pm Drosera capensis, spathulata, x Tokaiensis, and aliciae are some great and easy sundews. Also Sarracenias are quite easy.
Thanks mate, I'll try some of your suggestions right after Christmas. 8-)
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By Fuggle
Apollyon wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:54 pm Pinguicula is also pretty easy for the most part and a lot of them stay small. A lot of them are also more flexible with soil mixes. I second the sundews though. That's a good second choice. The ones he listed are very tough plants
Thanks Apollyon, I'll take a look at Pinguiculae too. You guys are giving me some great suggestions! Much appreciated. :D
By tommyr
Fuggle wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:38 pm Hi, I'm fairly new to growing Carnivorous Plants, and was wondering what plants you could suggest I buy which are relatively easy to grow for beginners? I already have a Venus Fly Trap and a Nepenthes X Ventrata (Monkey Cup) and they are both doing well after a year or so. Any suggestions and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Fuggle :D
Get a Ping emarginata! Super easy. Treat it like a tropical Sundew. Takes lower light and blooms all year long. Also Adelae and Capensis sundews.
By Fuggle
Fantastic, thanks Tommy! :P
By Apollyon
Actually need to divide my emarginata today. Thank you for reminding me :D
Fuggle liked this
By DeadlyCarnivore
Long cold winters? You shoukd tey some Pygmy sundews for when your other CPs go dormant! You can probably find some cheap gemmae around on the internet still...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!