FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By momchi
Hi everyone,
I am a newbie in this, have read and watched many YouTube videos on CPs, but lack any practical experience - have a VFT for a few months (since August, I think) and, last week just before Thanksgiving was happy as a child on Christmas day to accidentally pick up a poor little baby Sarracenia Purpurea from Walmart shelf, left almost dry.

Watered it for a few days now, but also trying not to disturb its dormancy - in Walmart was left inside the store, no sunshine definitely.

Had to chop off a few leaves that had fungus growing on them.

I know S. Purpurea should be 'more northern' specie but this seems only a little seedling (?) to me, so should I keep it inside (basement) where it's around 50 on a small window that unfortunate does not get almost any direct sunlight... Or, I should keep it in the garage (same parameters window) but where can easily down to sub-30s as the winter progresses...?

Also, does 'moist but not wet' should apply to seedlings too? Or, they could be allowed more water (from a tray)?

Can I use Neem to avoid fungus?

Sorry for the many questions, I really find this little baby plant very cute, so want it to have best chance of surviving this winter... Thanks! :)
IMG_20201127_152928.jpg
IMG_20201127_152928.jpg (3.95 MiB) Viewed 1802 times
By murrkywaters
I'd say that missing one dormancy while the plant is young isn't going to kill it. Just one, try to give it conditions for dormancy next season. I know people over on terraforums never let their seedlings go dormant. I have a yellow jacket that missed its dormancy last year and it's doing fine. I think the n⁰1 priority should be to get it light and air circulation so it can heal. Neem seems to be ok, I've used it before just fine. Be careful and check to see if it has added humic acid. Humic acid will build up pretty quick so the pot will need to be rinsed fairly regularly. If you use the tray method let the tray dry before adding more water.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

momchi liked this
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!