FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By cryostasis
For Utricilaria Calcyfida do you need to manually pollinate them to make seeds?

I have this one and just cut the flower stalk after seeing that its making 2 new stalks amd just decided to let it flower completely.

And anyone know if the plants I got are healthy or just want to make flower stalk because its dying.

Planning to repot it on a coco peat + silica sand/ perlite mix.
Attachments:
IMG_20201202_000127.jpg
IMG_20201202_000127.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 5206 times
By hungry carnivores
Utrics don't really have leaves or roots. It's all mainly modified stems. So they grow in weird forms that most people don't really understand (including me!)

It looks like your plant is fine since tiny leaves are coming in. My calycifida is currently in sphag, but I have one happy in peat/perlite too. IME you don't have to pollinate, but maybe that's because I have a fan in my growtank. Also, I say you don't repot it yet. Wait till the pot is jampacked.
By twitcher
Looks healthy to me. Agree with hungry above, doesn't need repotting at the moment. Best information i have is that the flowers or flower stalk should be tapped to help set seed. Doesn't take much effort to do that, so go for it. My two calycifidia's have not set seed for me to date, but I have not been trying for it.
By cryostasis
twitcher wrote:Looks healthy to me. Agree with hungry above, doesn't need repotting at the moment. Best information i have is that the flowers or flower stalk should be tapped to help set seed. Doesn't take much effort to do that, so go for it. My two calycifidia's have not set seed for me to date, but I have not been trying for it.
Thanks both. When you said "tapped" what do you mean by that or just the regular tap on the flower? When this plant arrived I cut the flower stalk then sticked it to the same medium then after a few days noticed it now made two additional flower stalk.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

By hungry carnivores
cryostasis wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:46 pm
twitcher wrote:Looks healthy to me. Agree with hungry above, doesn't need repotting at the moment. Best information i have is that the flowers or flower stalk should be tapped to help set seed. Doesn't take much effort to do that, so go for it. My two calycifidia's have not set seed for me to date, but I have not been trying for it.
Thanks both. When you said "tapped" what do you mean by that or just the regular tap on the flower? When this plant arrived I cut the flower stalk then sticked it to the same medium then after a few days noticed it now made two additional flower stalk.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
I play an instrument and happen to have a baroque tuning fork. That seems to work nicely. Electric toothbrushes will also work, reciprocating tools, phones (get a buzzing app), bees, as well as other vibrating instruments ;) .

Certain species like Spatulata, or Calycifida, IME seem to make tons of seed without any help.

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!