FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
When we lived in Utah, my wife and I had four aquariums. Three had all manner of tropical fish, the fourth was my breeder tank for Blue Eyed, Red Bristle-nose Plecostamus.
Since moving to Kentucky, then finally Tennessee, we've been discussing getting an aquarium again, but never found the one that felt right.
Well, Black Friday came along and a national pet store chain put out a stand in a new style and color that would match the color and decor of the house, and it was all 50% off. We originally wanted one bigger, but now that we got this one, we feel it is the right size.
I usually did everything with the previous aquariums, but my wife wants a hand in this one. So she's chosen a fantasy theme, we'll get more decorations as time goes on, and also chose to do live plants. We'll see how that goes as many tropical fish are omnivores.
I cant wait until it finishes cycling so we can start filling it with Cichlids, Catfish, and an unusual fish or two if I can find any. I had freshwater Flounder and Puffers back in Utah, hopefully I can find something cool here.
20201129_075052.jpg
20201129_075052.jpg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 6540 times
Apollyon, Matt, Supercazzola liked this
By devkatie
We used to have aquariums too before moving to Kansas where now we have to travel almost 3 hours to get to a pet store. I had a large planted aquarium and loved it. The fish really seemed to enjoy the live plants too. We had an amazing pet store back in MI with a large assortment of fish and plants to choose from. They even had a "stream" running through the store where you could stand on a bridge and feed the fish living there. Loved that place. Anyhow if you where setting up a new tank they would switch a filter out for you so that you could put an already colonized one in you new tank to really speed up the cycling. Maybe your local pet store would be willing to do that? Have fun with your early Christmas gift, there's something calming about sitting and watching fish swim around. Coincidentally, we've also lived in Utah. I miss the mountains and the hiking.
Supercazzola liked this
By evenwind
Tropical fish was my major hobby thru my teenage years. I went the other way, loving to watch small schools of tetras following each other around the tank, rather than fewer and larger cichlids. In those days the only plants available were live, so I usually wound up with a background forest of sagittarius or vallisneria with a centerpiece of an interesting rock or (when I could afford it) an amazon sword. Then I got into breeding killifish (think ten+ 2-gallon breeding tanks ) but that's another remembrance.

Enjoy your new tank!
Supercazzola liked this
By DragonsEye
devkatie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:59 pmWe had an amazing pet store back in MI with a large assortment of fish and plants to choose from. They even had a "stream" running through the store where you could stand on a bridge and feed the fish living there. Loved that place.
Preuss's?

Have fun with your tank, Chef! Planning on having a background to "hide the wall" behind the tank?
By Apollyon
I've tried doing tanks at different points throughout the years. Someday I'd love to have a reef tank with fish. Like its own ecosystem kinda deal. I love those things but they're a lot of work. I'm sure your tank is gonna be awesome man. Post an update sometime!
By sanguinearocks101
I have a 20 gallon freshwater fish tank, but for some reason I’m not good at keeping them alive for a long time except for my pleco. A lot of the fish I got(all platys except the one pleco) were pregnant and I made mistakes(I put them in a floating plastic thing that built up a lot of ammonia and killed them according to the guy at Petco) As of right now the only fish I have is the pleco and haven’t gotten more because I’m scared I’ll kill them.
By Panman
I've had a 29 gallon freshwater aquarium a couple of time over the years. Generally I end up getting too busy for water changes and things go downhill. I've got a couple of platys that are hanging out in water that is probably toxic to everything else.
By devkatie
DragonsEye, Yes! Preuss's! We spent a lot of time and money there on our fish. ☺️. Best pet store I've ever been in.
By ChefDean
DragonsEye wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:39 pmHave fun with your tank, Chef! Planning on having a background to "hide the wall" behind the tank?
I've never been into the background "wallpaper", probably because it doesn't look natural or doesn't match the decor. Perhaps if I can find something fairy or fantasy that fits the theme my wife is shooting for, then I'll go for it. But the plan is to let the live plants we got grow up for a background.
By evenwind
The talk about backgrounds got me curious so I did a fast look on Ebay. Some of them are $100! That's some difference from when I was a kid and we used slightly crumpled aluminum foil.
Panman, ChefDean liked this
By madrone
Never tried my hand at aquariums, but have definitely admired the efforts of others!

Nice yin-yang on the substrate - look forward to seeing what you do with it!
ChefDean liked this
By Bobioden
I have had all types of Aquariums durning the years, My two favorites were my Discus tank, 10 Adults, with 40 Cardinal Tetras in a fully planted tank, and a 15 gal mini reef tank. Both were tons of work, but worth the trouble.

Here is my reef tank featured in Advanced Aquarist online magazine.

https://reefs.com/magazine/feature-aqua ... bob-olson/

I like how yours is going, can't wait to see update pics.
ChefDean liked this
By Bixtor36
Slick setup! Looking forward to see how it progresses and what fish you end up with :) I have 4 of my own going right now, definitely a fun hobby as well! I have a strain of Cobra Guppies that I have been working on since high school, and some angels that just started breeding. Glad to see you getting back into it!
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!