FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By elaineo
I have a bunch of empty Lysol wipe canisters. About 4.5" across, and 8" tall. Thick white plastic, wouldn't even need to sterilize them. Would they be good for VFT or sarracenia, or are they too tall? I could drill holes in the bottom and sides.

I'm currently using red beer pong cups and they seem to get brittle and crack after a few months in the sun.

By Apollyon
Dunno, bet Cephalotus or Drosera Regia would appreciate it though. I personally grow Sarracenia in taller pots. Their roots tend to drop down pretty far even as young plants. I've seen some people use those taller Hydro pots for VFTs so I would guess that wouldn't be too much of a issue. If it were me, I'd probably make sure it had enough drainage though. The pots won't dry out as quick.
elaineo liked this
By MikeB
It's worth a try. I don't know how well that plastic will hold up to ultraviolet light and cold weather, though. I occasionally use some microwave bowls for deep saucers. They're good for a year or so before they turn brittle and fall apart.
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
SundewWolf wrote:Most sarracenia would outgrow them quickly, however that is a nice size for venus flytraps.
@SundewWolf
would they outgrow sideways, or vertically? I don't have much experience with sarracenia.
By Apollyon
Probably both honestly lol. Once they get going the rhizomes get pretty wide.
By Panman
@elaineo what kind of sarrs are you growing, and how long have you had them. A mature flava rhizome probably takes a couple of years to fill out a 6 inch pot. Purpurea or psittacina take longer.

I am all for recycling/repressing. I use yogurt cups for 2 inch seedling pots. The good ones are the ones that have the toppings in a separate container. Instant humidity domes!
elaineo, Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
That's pretty creative. Have your own miniature greenhouse. Think I might try that with these Darlingtonia seeds I've been sitting on :D
elaineo liked this
By MikeB
Restaurant take-out containers work well for seedlings, especially the larger, rectangular ones with clear lids. I have some that are deep enough to hold the plants for a couple years.
elaineo liked this
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!