FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Invasion_UwU_OwO_69_
I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up, but I stumbled upon this article when I was perusing the interwebs for info on older giant cultivar trap sizes.
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/wo ... us-flytrap
Does this make Alien the "official" guinness world record holder of the largest traps? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I almost feel like Jeremiah did this as a joke.
By Cross
Invasion_UwU_OwO_69_ wrote:I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up, but I stumbled upon this article when I was perusing the interwebs for info on older giant cultivar trap sizes.
Does this make Alien the "official" guinness world record holder of the largest traps? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Let me just actually add that to my cart....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

By Matt
Interesting. I guess Guinness has decided that measuring the "Largest Trap on a Venus Flytrap" is solely based on length from the proximal end to the distal end?

I think we might want to make the "largest trap" award a little more complex than that. Yes, Alien has the "longest traps" I've possibly ever seen. See below photo of my Alien flytrap after a couple of years with it:
alien_large2.jpg
alien_large2.jpg (101.49 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
However, I'd say that SD Kronos and DC XL (spring-time traps) have the "largest traps" in terms of overall mass and overall dimensions. Wouldn't that be a more accurate representation of "largest"? Just asking...not making a statement.

And I don't think Jeremiah did it as a joke. It is more likely a publicity stunt than anything.

I have to admit...it is tempting to beef up some SD Kronos and DC XL flytraps over the winter with fertilizer and regularly feeding them to see if I can get the traps over 5cm. Though, I think there are better ways to spend my time :)
tommyr liked this
By tommyr
Invasion_UwU_OwO_69_ wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:37 am I'm surprised that this hasn't been brought up, but I stumbled upon this article when I was perusing the interwebs for info on older giant cultivar trap sizes.

The Guinness site doesn't even mention DCXL as a large trap, it mentions B52. Now yes that "Alien" is a sight to behold and B52 is a great flytrap but I call nonsense on that article. Someone there didn't do their homework. Meh.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!