FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Z_Y
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Light is extremely intense, under CobKits LEDs. The CobKits are about 15" away from the plants themselves, but are definitely powerful enough to get good coloring.
Do you have a bit more information on these lights? Such as the wattage or amount of LED modules you are using? Unless I searched wrong, I see that the cob leds are discrete LED units that you had to mount yourself? I want to see how to change my distance/wattage to match your conditions.

The soil conditions seem similar to mine. I've always wondered if excess peat would change growth coloration due to the pH levels, but I haven't seen any difference between 0-peat cuttings vs peat-heavy cuttings. Actually, the pots with just pure sphagnum/perlite are now my favorite since I can easily tell how dry the pots are. The peat/sandy pots are always kind of heavy so it's hard to judge just by holding the pot if it's dry.
Apollyon wrote:which from looking at yours and its medium makes me wonder if it was the same guy
It definitely is! I'm not sure but did he have a 3rd pot? So maybe there's a 3rd person here with the same plant that we can compare with? Mine also came like super-green, but colored up real fast under my lights. However, at least for my other cephs, I find that older pitchers grown under different lighting never color up fully or color up the same, so I'm looking forward to more new ones that sprout under my care.

I think I have a second growth point buried under the main one in mine, but I'm too scared to try dividing anything at the moment. I usually repot all my plants, even cephs, but for this one (and a couple other large rare clones) I just left it in the original pot.
By Nepenthes0260
The Cobs can go up to 250 watts, but I don't want to push them too hard so have them each set to about 75. Yes, I did have to mount them myself. The sides of my setup are reflective, so the light hits all sides of the pitcher to make it color up well. Here's a thread I made a while ago on this setup when I was still using it for helis- new-hl-setup-t43866.html . That gives a bit more info on the CobKits and the setup in general. Now, since I'm using it for cephs, it's not nearly as high humidity though, only about 50%. In my experience, whenever my cephs get too humid they rot and powdery mildew develops. Last winter I had a huge problem with powdery mildew and it made my cephs look absolutely horrible.
IMG_6802.jpg
IMG_6802.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 2854 times
IMG_6806.jpg
IMG_6806.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 2854 times
IMG_6805.jpg
IMG_6805.jpg (3.6 MiB) Viewed 2854 times
IMG_6803.jpg
IMG_6803.jpg (3.83 MiB) Viewed 2854 times
IMG_6804.jpg
IMG_6804.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 2854 times
By Nepenthes0260
I have humidity domes on a couple of those trays because the one I'm just using for very fresh/unrooted ceph divs I took last week from some plants like 'Elizabeth', "Big Boy", "Emu Point", "Bubble Giant", etc. The other humidity dome I have is for growing South American Drosera (they're liking the cool location the cephs are in right now) and a few South African dews (flexicaulis, cuneifolia) which are appreciating the increased humidity as well as cool temps.
By Z_Y
Ah thanks for the info. Your ceph collection is looking real nice too. That's quite the collection!
By Apollyon
That is real impressive. I noticed the Regia right away lol. Maybe someday I'd do something like that if I could find an effective way of cooling it down.

@Z_Y, It probably does have a second growth point under the media. The first pitcher I noticed broke through the moss lol. When I looked through it I realized there were a few coming and there was a second growth point down there. I was so excited man lol. It was doing all of its work underneath.
He did sell another plant to a user on here; Berrybob. He has a thread he started following its progress: a-cp-dream-come-true-t48240.html
By Z_Y
Oh yea, that's probably where I saw it from but I lost track of that thread. Hopefully next summer we can all compare our plants again (and hopefully mine won't be dead by then, haha).
By Nepenthes0260
Apollyon wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:25 am That is real impressive. I noticed the Regia right away lol. Maybe someday I'd do something like that if I could find an effective way of cooling it down.

@Z_Y, It probably does have a second growth point under the media. The first pitcher I noticed broke through the moss lol. When I looked through it I realized there were a few coming and there was a second growth point down there. I was so excited man lol. It was doing all of its work underneath.
He did sell another plant to a user on here; Berrybob. He has a thread he started following its progress: a-cp-dream-come-true-t48240.html
Thanks! That regia is pretty new and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ve finally got the trick down to growing it :lol:. Every other regia I’ve tried has eventually bit the dust after a couple months of struggling.
By Nepenthes0260
Z_Y wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:24 am Ah thanks for the info. Your ceph collection is looking real nice too. That's quite the collection!
No problem, thanks!
By Apollyon
Nepenthes0260 wrote:
Thanks! That regia is pretty new and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ve finally got the trick down to growing it :lol:. Every other regia I’ve tried has eventually bit the dust after a couple months of struggling.
Try using a few osmocote pellets. If your temps arent dangerously low (which they shouldnt be growing cephalotus) it may be a fertilizer issue. They need a lot of nutrients compared to the average Drosera. Also, they don't do well at all in consistent temps over ~83 degrees. The tips will start to go black. I have a gallon nursery like yours and I have about 8 smart release osmocote pellets along the surface of the pot. Even with that, I'm using Maxsea 1/2 tsp. once a week (every other week now that I dropped my photoperiod). That might help your cause.
By Nepenthes0260
Apollyon wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:14 pm
Nepenthes0260 wrote:
Try using a few osmocote pellets. If your temps arent dangerously low (which they shouldnt be growing cephalotus) it may be a fertilizer issue. They need a lot of nutrients compared to the average Drosera. Also, they don't do well at all in consistent temps over ~83 degrees. The tips will start to go black. I have a gallon nursery like yours and I have about 8 smart release osmocote pellets along the surface of the pot. Even with that, I'm using Maxsea 1/2 tsp. once a week (every other week now that I dropped my photoperiod). That might help your cause.
Will do! I think I’ll probably need a separate water tray for the regia though because I’m afraid of getting some osmoscote water in the Ceph pots.

I’ve heard that they don’t like high temps from a few people. However, the person who I got this one from had them growing outside in Southern CA when temps hit 110 :shock:. They got a bit burnt, but after bringing them inside to cooler temps all of the regia recovered just fine. I think the main issue I had with my previous regia tries was too high of humidity and too little air movement.
By Apollyon
Nepenthes0260 wrote: I’ve heard that they don’t like high temps from a few people. However, the person who I got this one from had them growing outside in Southern CA when temps hit 110 :shock:. They got a bit burnt, but after bringing them inside to cooler temps all of the regia recovered just fine. I think the main issue I had with my previous regia tries was too high of humidity and too little air movement.
That could be. I mean I'm growing mine in 50-60 RH and I have it out in the open under T5s in a water tray. I think they're like cephalotus in that you can have hotter temps provided you have a strong enough dropoff. For me though, I have to bank on cool enough temps in the daytime. My temps are about 77-79 for it and the nights are like 71. Your chamber would probably allow for more flexibility than I have. I had to cater to what I could do. Still though, despite the hassle, it's my favorite sundew.
By Nepenthes0260
Apollyon wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote: I’ve heard that they don’t like high temps from a few people. However, the person who I got this one from had them growing outside in Southern CA when temps hit 110 :shock:. They got a bit burnt, but after bringing them inside to cooler temps all of the regia recovered just fine. I think the main issue I had with my previous regia tries was too high of humidity and too little air movement.
That could be. I mean I'm growing mine in 50-60 RH and I have it out in the open under T5s in a water tray. I think they're like cephalotus in that you can have hotter temps provided you have a strong enough dropoff. For me though, I have to bank on cool enough temps in the daytime. My temps are about 77-79 for it and the nights are like 71. Your chamber would probably allow for more flexibility than I have. I had to cater to what I could do. Still though, despite the hassle, it's my favorite sundew.
Probably so. It seems like a lot of people are saying regia needs high humidity but mine is acclimating just fine even though I never even bagged it. I'm 90% sure high humidity is what killed mine before, especially hearing stories of how they handle 30% humidity just fine.

It's a pretty awesome Drosera! If I could get mine to the massive size that CC or SNW does it would probably be my favorite dew as well.

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!