FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
Hi all. I have several different varieties of filiformis. Most of them have formed hiberniculum and look good but one newer plant I received is not. It is a filiformis x filiformis floridian. Will this one also do dormancy like the others? I am zone 7b so my plan is to winter them with the flytraps under a pile of mulch. Does anyone see any problem with that? This is my first winter with filiformis.
By ChefDean
To the best of my knowledge, Filiformis Floridana do not need a dormancy. That being said, I don't think a dormancy will hurt it.
However, if it's not going into dormancy on it's own, maybe bring it inside for the winter.
By Panman
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:51 pm My filiformis “Florida Red”(pretty sure its floridana) has formed a hibernacula.
Yessir, I would believe you are correct! :D Mine hasn't done that yet which is why I'm concerned. Filiformis and tracyii have both formed hyberniculum.
By Panman
ChefDean wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:17 pm To the best of my knowledge, Filiformis Floridana do not need a dormancy. That being said, I don't think a dormancy will hurt it.
However, if it's not going into dormancy on it's own, maybe bring it inside for the winter.
I'm going to give it some time until we get a really cold snap. If it hasn't complied by then, I will find space for it on the light rack.
By MikeB
I've noticed this with some of my D. filiformis var. filiformis X D. filiformis 'Florida Red' hybrids. Most of them have "battened down the hatches" for winter, while a few have not. My weather will get noticeably colder in the next 6 days. I'm waiting to see if they get a clue.
By Apollyon
Appears Florida Reds will go dormant in the fall even here in 9b. They're native north of where I live so I believe it's a part of their cycle. I've also noticed my tracyii and dreamsicle have all hunkered down for the winter, the offshoots are still rocking it though so my stuff is looking a little weird lol.
Panman liked this
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 am:lol: Seeing as a bunch of my plants came from your seedling culls, that explains a lot.
Most of them inherited the dormancy gene from their northern parent, but a few of them picked up the "What is this season called 'winter'?" gene from their Florida parent.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!