FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Eventerminator
Hello!

I've been taking care of my Cape Sundew for over a week now and I've been wondering if I'm taking care of it properly. I've put in a spot which gives it 6+ hours of sunlight and I've been giving plenty of water but the dews seem quite small.

Is it normal for the dew to be small? I heard that it's tied to the humidity but I also heard that humidity isn't a big factor either.

Thanks!
This is my sundew
This is my sundew
IMG_0319.JPG (2.46 MiB) Viewed 3921 times
By optique
well it can take longer than a week for most sundews to adjust after shipping. the photo looks out side, i cant grow mine out side in the summer where i live because they decline above 85F. they do not die just look ratty.
By Eventerminator
Yes, I've been growing my sundew outside. My house doesn't have a good area inside where the sunlight hits well. The sundew is growing in temps around 30C but it's doing fine so I guess I just have to wait for it to acclimate.
By Tarzanus
I've kept them outside in full sun when it was 36°C and they didn't really mind, as long as they were standing in water. Even partly submerged, they kept the dew on their traps and managed to catch a lot of insects that were trying to find some water. In the morning, the dew droplets were extremely large. Overall D. capensis plants looked healthy, extremely dark red colored, but they didn't grow too rapidly. They rather grow when it's a bit cooler, as it seems. As they were fed really well during that time, they started flowering. And I mean FLOWERING. I did not even imagine flowers of that size are possible. Well, they are..
Here's a photo
http://shrani.si/?3n/Wm/4sMeQUbt/img20160730082920.jpgImage
By Tarzanus
Sadly, I lost it when the weather was similar, 35°C or more for a week and I was on my vacation. No one really cared for my meat consuming monsters and they dried out. I've had a couple of Drosera capensis palm trees back then. Trimmed them regularly. So pretty :)
By Panman
I grew mine outdoors this summer. It took them a good 4 to 6 weeks to get good and boogery again. (Boogery is a technical term. I believe it was originally coined by @ChefDean but I am not sure). They didn't mind the heat but HATED the blazing Georgia sun. Once I moved them onto the covered porch where they got a couple of hours of morning light and then bright indirect light the rest of the day, they were much happier. They are even happier now that they are inside with a 16 hour photocycle.
Supercazzola liked this
By hungry carnivores
Georgia! That's a real double-edged sword.

On one hand, VFT's and Sarrs and Aldrovanda will love it.
On the other hand, you will kill every highland nep, and heli that you keep without cooling.

Just curious, what plants do you grow panman?
By Panman
Sarrs, flytraps, temperate sundews. A couple of neps, ventrata and sanguinea. A couple of 15 gallon bogs and an equal amount of various potted.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!