FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cretaceous
What kind of heliamphora do you think this is, and why? I was told one thing and I have some of my own ideas, but would like some expert thoughts. Thx!Image
Attachments:
IMG_20201123_120606.jpg
IMG_20201123_120606.jpg (2.15 MiB) Viewed 3377 times
IMG_20201123_120549.jpg
IMG_20201123_120549.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 3377 times
By Nepenthes0260
Where did you buy it from? Any background info? Kind of looks like a nutans "giant" (glabra x nutans). Nice plant though!
Cretaceous liked this
By Cretaceous
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Where did you buy it from? Any background info? Kind of looks like a nutans "giant" (glabra x nutans). Nice plant though!
Thanks! So this was sold to me as H. heterodoxa. I suspected since I got it that it is not, mostly based on comparing internet pictures. There are 2 reasons on the side of believing it:
  • The seller is an experienced and knowledgeable CP collector.
  • My understanding is that the 'heterodoxa' name is due to the great variability within the species
These are the reasons I think it's something else:
  • Waist and pitcher mouth shape are more elegant than the cylindrical heterodoxa.
  • The nectar spoon is much smaller than any picture of heterodoxa I could find. And I am assuming (maybe incorrectly) that nectar spoon size is purely based on genetics, not anything related to growing conditions
Comparing pictures led me to thinking it looks more like nutans or ionasi, with nutans being much more likely since it's more common in cultivation. And I have no idea how to begin to determine if it's some kind of hybrid.

So now I'm wondering which action I should take:
  • Keep calling it heterodoxa
  • Start calling it nutans
  • Demote it to 'unknown' :cry:
By Matt
It sure doesn't look like an H. heterodoxa unless it is growing in some very low light setting. As far as I know, H. heterodoxa produces much more pronounced nectar spoons and a narrower mouth, but I'm not too familiar with how much variability there is within the heterodoxa species. Though, it really does look like an H. nutans.
Cretaceous liked this
By hungry carnivores
I like to mark certainty so I like to say H. Sp. no id aff. Nutans which means Heliamphora no id, with affinities of nutans.

Much like people say D. aff. lanata 'ffc' or similar. I myself have a N. sp. no id aff. stenophylla.
Cretaceous liked this
By Cretaceous
Matt wrote:It sure doesn't look like an H. heterodoxa unless it is growing in some very low light setting.
Light etc. conditions all shouldn't be too far off.
By Nepenthes0260
I would say that it is not a heterodoxa. Much too small of a spoon and slender pitchers. However, there is a plant distributed several years ago as "H. heterodoxa Ptari" that turned out to be a hybrid of collina x purpurascens. It occurs on the slopes of Ptari tepui and was mistaken as H. heterodoxa until recently. It appears to be much more similar in shape to your "heteorodxa", although I still don't think that's what it is. It may be a possibility, however. Who knows. It would make sense though why it was mislabeled as heterodoxa.

Like Hungry Carnivores said, I would call it a H. noid aff. nutans. Out of all the heli species, it looks the most like a nutans to me.
Cretaceous liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!