FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Matt
So...I kinda went crazy with getting a bunch of Sarracenia and Sarracenia seed this year. I'm looking to expand FTS into Sarrs more and I figured what better way to get a jump start than by starting a bunch of awesome seed crosses in tissue culture, select out the best, and propagate a ton of them over the next few years!

Below is a list of crosses I started in tissue culture over the last month or two. Most of them I just flasked this week. It has been a busy week!! Very long days with lots and lots of jars used!

Also, I decided to skip the gibberellic acid treatment and just give them a 4-week stratification in the fridge. Takes a little more time to get them going but I've had better germination rates this way.

Anyway, here's the list:
(flava Claret x flava atro) x Waccamaw
F276 x atro Blackwater Phil F
Hawaiian Ice x Lunch Box
HCW clone F x leuco alba "Solid White" Washington Co, AL
Hot Lips x moorei Lincoln
Hot Lips x Waccamaw
Leah Wilkerson x Caitrin Claire
Leah Wilkerson x Lunch Box
Leah Wilkerson x Royal ruby
leucophylla Crestview, FL x Hot Lips
leucophylla HCW seed from ICPS in 2012 (quite a lot germinated!)
leucophylla HCW clone F x Royal Ruby
leucophylla Wilkerson's Pond x Royal Ruby
leucophylla Wilkerson's Pond x Saurus
leucophylla Wilkerson's Pond x Self
leucophylla Wilkerson's Pond x Waccamaw
leucophylla Wilkerson's Red Rocket x leuco (Purple Lips x self)
leucophylla Wilkerson's Red Rocket x leuco Pink Mike Wang Best Clone Baldwin Co, AL
Metallized x Saurus
moorei MPF-1 x moorei "Sugar Skull" (Saurus x Leah Wilkerson Select)
Oreophila ornata "Purple Monster" x Oreophila ornata "Mike's Clone" (Purple Monster sibling)
oreophila Sand Mt #4 CC x Tower of terror
Reptilian Rose x Saurus
Royal Ruby x Hot Lips
Royal Ruby x leucophylla Wilkerson's Pond
Royal Ruby x Saurus
Saurus x Caitrin Claire
Saurus x Elvis Wilkerson
Saurus x Hot Lips
Saurus x Inspiration
Saurus x Leah Wilkerson
Swords Swallower x Premysl Otakar I

Which crosses do you all think will turn out nicely?

And a couple of photos showing the damage. I filled up my beer kegerator with cultures to stratify! No more room for beer :cry:
TC fridge full of Sarracenia seed cultures
TC fridge full of Sarracenia seed cultures
20201120_145654.jpg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 5194 times
Cultures cooling and gelling in the flow hood
Cultures cooling and gelling in the flow hood
20201120_110121.jpg (3.96 MiB) Viewed 5218 times
Kegerator full of Sarracenia seed cultures
Kegerator full of Sarracenia seed cultures
20201120_105809.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 5218 times
By Apollyon
Does Gibberrellic acid work well for Sarracenia? I started getting dumb with it and threw different types of seeds into my leftover mix. I know it's used to skip heat stratification but I was wondering if it induces germination on cold strat plants like Sarrs.

By the way, that TC Sarr setup is insane. Going to need to call yourself "The Sarracenia Store" in a couple of years lol. I got a bunch of different plants from Mike Wang too, I'm looking forward to getting seed when they grow out. Maybe I'll get some Hurricane Creek next year.
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:Does Gibberrellic acid work well for Sarracenia?
@Apollyon, I've had mixed results with it. Sometimes it seems to work well and sometimes I get no germination at all. I'm not sure what the cause is, so I've decided to just do the 4-weeks in the fridge instead of risk losing a bunch of seeds.
Apollyon wrote:By the way, that TC Sarr setup is insane. Going to need to call yourself "The Sarracenia Store" in a couple of years lol
LOL! For sure!! That's funny you said that because I just asked Leah yesterday if we should buy the domain name "sarraceniastore.com." Given that you said it too, I went ahead and bought it! It redirects to our Sarracenia portion of FlytrapStore.com, which will be expanded greatly in 2022, and a little bit in 2021.
http://sarraceniastore.com
Apollyon wrote:I got a bunch of different plants from Mike Wang too, I'm looking forward to getting seed when they grow out. Maybe I'll get some Hurricane Creek next year.
The HCW clone that I've chosen as our primary offering in FTS for our Hurricane Creek White is a really nice plant. I haven't grown the other two common HCW clones (A and F) for very long, but I can't imagine they're much better, if at all, than our clone.
DragonsEye wrote:ARE YOU MAD, MAN!
Haha, I think I've gone "Sarracenia MAD!!!"
Panman liked this
By Apollyon
@Matt, Haha very nice. You scored a pretty nice domain name to boot. I think that was a good choice and it'll be cool to see what you guys do with the site in the future.

I personally have clones A, E and F, though I can't testify yet to how they appear in person. The rhizomes were larger so the pitchers were cut back. I was hoping for a spark of growth because my other leucos were growing but it's looking like next year for me. I honestly doubt most people outside of the true diehard Sarracenia connoisseurs would even be able to tell the difference. I'm willing to bet I'll get confused with them lol. From what I saw, it had more to do with the length of white along the pitchers and the width of the pitchers themselves. Honestly, it was a toss up between E and HCW for me. I wanted the fatter shape, I'm hoping to get some with the size of E and the color of F (from pics anyway). I'll make sure to post something when things get going. I wouldn't think HCW is inferior in any way though. I personally think HCW looks better than most of the lettered clones.
Matt liked this
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:I honestly doubt most people outside of the true diehard Sarracenia connoisseurs would even be able to tell the difference. I'm willing to bet I'll get confused with them lol.
:lol: I hear ya! Yeah, there is so much stratification of plants at the connoisseur level that I think most people, even those in the hobby quite a long time, might have trouble telling many of the plants apart.
Apollyon wrote:I'll make sure to post something when things get going. I wouldn't think HCW is inferior in any way though. I personally think HCW looks better than most of the lettered clones.
Great, I'll be looking for your posts. I too will post some photos for comparison as my plants settle in and start growing. To be fair, it will probably be at least 1.5 years before I can do an honest comparison. But we can see how they look next year just for grins and giggles :D
Apollyon liked this
By Apollyon
True that. I honestly have no idea how large the pitchers are going to be. From the leftovers and the rhizome size I feel like they'll be pretty large but we'll see. I've definitely been looking at soil fertilization after I saw the ICPS report on it and that looks promising. The results on the high nitrogen osmocote were pretty crazy.
By Matt
Apollyon wrote:I've definitely been looking at soil fertilization after I saw the ICPS report on it and that looks promising. The results on the high nitrogen osmocote were pretty crazy.
Are you referring to this article?:
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/ ... aceniasoil

John did a good experiment there! I've got some Sarracenia seeds that germinated while in shipment to me, so I wasn't able to flask them into TC. So I have a half tray (10x20) full of baby Sarrs. I'm planning on experimenting with fertlizing and feeding them. I saw a post on Facebook the other day where someone started seeds on March 1, 2020, and now has a plant that is over 12 inches tall with mature pitchers. That's pretty amazing growth in 9 months! A couple of people asked how they did it, but I didn't see a response.

I can recall reading something on a forum somewhere, maybe the Sarracenia Forum, and this was probably 10+ years ago...but there was a grower who put Sarr seedlings under fluorescent lights and left them on for 24 hours a day. They did grow pretty fast if I recall correctly. Some people were stating that they thought plants required some dark time to actually perform certain metabolic processes. I don't know much about plant biology or physiology, so I don't know if a 24-hour photoperiod is actually feasible or if this person was just playing a prank. It didn't seem like a prank but I've not heard of anyone else doing that since then.
By Panman
I've always wanted to experiment with a photo period instead of 16 on and 4 off of 8 on and 2 off twice a day. Would the plant's internal clock think it was twice as old?
By Matt
Panman wrote:I've always wanted to experiment with a photo period instead of 16 on and 4 off of 8 on and 2 off twice a day. Would the plant's internal clock think it was twice as old?
That certainly would be an interesting experiment! I wouldn't even venture a guess as to how it would affect the plants...
By MikeB
Matt wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:33 pmSo I have a half tray (10x20) full of baby Sarrs. I'm planning on experimenting with fertlizing and feeding them.
When my flava seedlings started their 2nd year, I "juiced" them every 2 weeks by filling their tiny pitchers with MaxSea diluted to 1/4 strength. They really took off! Two of them sprouted pitchers in the 8-10 inch range.
By Apollyon
@Matt, Yeah, that's the article. It looked interesting and worth trying. I'm going to try them on the sarracenia seeds I'll be planting over the winter to see what happens with them. If I can shave off a year's growth by putting a couple pellets in the pot in the springtime then absolutely. I'll split pots and have one as a control of sorts. I'll hopefully have a good idea of how it works. I plan to probably do about 6 pellets and then still fill the pitchers with Maxsea. Hasn't bothered my Regia really, and those are supposedly more sensitive. I'll personally be going with the higher nitrogen pellets (pink cap) I think. If the seedlings respond without dying off, I'll give some to my clones. A lot of them are still pretty small.
Matt liked this
By Matt
@Apollyon, sounds like a plan, man! Please update us here as your experiment progresses :D
Apollyon wrote:Hasn't bothered my Regia really, and those are supposedly more sensitive.
I have heard from a reputable source that D. regia needs to be fertilized A TON! Like both foliarly and through the roots. I've never had much luck growing that species but it has been many years since I've tried. I'm planning on getting some more soon so I'll do some experimenting with feeding of them and let you all know!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!