FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By uxleumas
try to take a look at the tracking number. it's pretty solid proof if it was delivered or not. unless they're saying that you didn't put certain items in the box.
(why is it de-liver-ed? sounds like someone got their liver removed or something)
By MikeB
uxleumas wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:50 am(why is it de-liver-ed? sounds like someone got their liver removed or something)
Maybe this was the source:
  • Greek mythology
    The punishment of Prometheus as a consequence of the theft of fire and giving it to humans is a popular subject of both ancient and modern culture. Zeus, king of the Olympian gods, sentenced Prometheus to eternal torment for his transgression. Prometheus was bound to a rock, and an eagle - the emblem of Zeus - was sent to eat his liver (in ancient Greece, the liver was often thought to be the seat of human emotions). His liver would then grow back overnight, only to be eaten again the next day in an ongoing cycle.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus
Prometheus delivered fire, and was de-livered in return.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By MikeB
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:31 amI have been considering selling on eBay but have been hesitant due to a forum member saying that people will say that the item wasn’t delivered and try to scam me. Does anyone know how to avoid this?
I occasionally sell stuff on eBay, and I've never run into this problem. The best way to avoid this is to use package tracking. Send the tracking number to the buyer; that lets him/her know that you're monitoring the package's status. If that isn't sufficient, add "signature required". If it was delivered to the buyer's address, and someone there signed for it, then it's real hard to pull any crap.

Note:
  • If you're selling plants, then eBay takes a 10% cut of your sale (the price of the item plus the shipping charge).
  • If you use PayPal, they take a cut of 2.9% + 30¢.
By Nepenthes0260
I've heard of stuff like that. Somebody who sells lots of neps on ebay told me that all you have to do is say no refunds or returns. I don't know how true that is haha, but it may work. It'll probably scare away potential buyers, though. I would recommend selling plants on FB because that sort of thing doesn't happen and they don't charge a fee.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By sanguinearocks101
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:10 pm I've heard of stuff like that. Somebody who sells lots of neps on ebay told me that all you have to do is say no refunds or returns. I don't know how true that is haha, but it may work. It'll probably scare away potential buyers, though. I would recommend selling plants on FB because that sort of thing doesn't happen and they don't charge a fee.
I’ve tried selling on FB, but haven’t had much success so far.
By Nepenthes0260
sanguinearocks101 wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:10 pm I've heard of stuff like that. Somebody who sells lots of neps on ebay told me that all you have to do is say no refunds or returns. I don't know how true that is haha, but it may work. It'll probably scare away potential buyers, though. I would recommend selling plants on FB because that sort of thing doesn't happen and they don't charge a fee.
Sometimes neps look a bit ratty right after overseas shipping. Maybe take pics of them after they're established and pitchering and then post those?
By jose
Do not sell on Etsy. There’s a reason no reputable grower sells on there.

Just put no returns on eBay. I believe all reputable CP dealers do this on EB and it does not put off anyone. After all no one returns plants to the major nurseries like Carnivero, NE, CC, etc. Auctions get more attraction than buy it now and never do offers - they will low ball the crap out of you. Many of my auctions have ended above my original asking price
By hungry carnivores
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:52 pm

Get yourself a plant instagram. Follow lots of community members, post some photos, settle in. Once you have credibility/followers, putting up plants for sale is as easy as a feed post or a story, even. I came to aquire my new tenuis, dubia, jamban, and peltata through instagram. And there's no fee.
By hungry carnivores
jose wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:25 pm Do not sell on Etsy. There’s a reason no reputable grower sells on there.
Very true. Only people there are selling 'kits' to 'artsy' people for little vfts and the sort. Communities are the best place to sell. If only they could create a carnivorous plant site like CPR where everybody could sell.

Also, Jose, please check your PM's.
By Apollyon
That sounds familiar. If you were referring to what I had said, the seller did indeed supply a tracking number for their plants. He had opened an account, sold 2 D. Regia for about 40 bucks a piece, then the buyers decided that they didn't want to pay the price. They did try some BS moves and claim damaged, dead, didn't arrive at their address etc. without providing any proof. They tried to hold his feedback hostage as well.

There are a couple of things you can do depending on what they try to do. When the guy I know contacted eBay, he was able to get the feedback removed because he did supply tracking and it showed that it was indeed delivered to the buyer's posted address, despite what the buyer claimed.

The second they bring up feedback in any kind of context to try to negotiate, they lost.

It's unfortunate that the rules are skewed to the buyer's advantage. I can see why they would protect buyers though I've never been a fan of the idea that they can forcibly withdraw money from your account to refund the buyer and you're forced to eat it. Leaves it too open to exploit.

Another thing I saw done when I purchased something was the seller provided me pics of the plant, the package and actually sent a picture of them sending it out lol. It seemed overkill but it protects them and it probably came from experience.

My mother resells on ebay often and has had her fair share. Honestly though, she doesn't aggressively try to work with eBay so she finds herself losing money on some items. It ultimately depends on how far you're willing to go when it comes to selling. You'll probably find plenty of honest people and simple, easy transactions. Or, you can encounter what my friend did and open an account to be hit with consecutive bad ones.

Best advice I could give is lay down the ground rules for the transaction and try to be as thorough as possible. Explain how damage *can* occur or what to expect from your shipped plant. Explain that you are not responsible for what happens to the plant after it has been delivered and that you will not refund their purchase of an ultra-highland that they try to grow in their backyard. Take plenty of pics, provide tracking and keep in contact with your buyers. Then if you encounter any trouble, you'll have covered your bases. You'll have to deal with tedious experiences, but you shouldn't lose your money *and* plant.
By DragonsEye
Apollyon's post brings up another possible issue -- the buyer claiming that the plant was dead on arrival.
Drosera germination time

There are many factors that influence them, and th[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!