FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
Hey everyone, was just wondering if my Sarracenia's are looking healthy or not? One of the reasons why I ask this is because sometimes the plants will shoot up new pitchers but the tops of them will die off? I also have noticed that leaves on the plants will curl up. Could possibly one of the reasons be that I have not repotted the plants in 2-3 years? I live in Arizona so we just got through a really brutal summer so i am wondering if this could possibly be a factor as well? I have posted some pictures of the plants so any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Attachments:
resize3.jpg
resize3.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 2361 times
resize2.jpg
resize2.jpg (3.5 MiB) Viewed 2361 times
resize1.jpg
resize1.jpg (2.94 MiB) Viewed 2361 times
By Panman
To me it looks like they may have dried out and got burned. Do they have S. flava in their cross? If so, they started phyllodia because of the heat. Knowing what varieties they are would help as would a close up of the rhizomes.
frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
I'm not sure what varieties they are to be honest. I tried taking a couple of pix of the rhizomes. I always keep them in water so im not sure if they would get dried out but im honestly not sure. Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated!
Attachments:
rhizomeresize3.jpg
rhizomeresize3.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 2338 times
rhizomeresize2.jpg
rhizomeresize2.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 2338 times
rhizoneresize1.jpg
rhizoneresize1.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 2338 times
By ChefDean
In Arizona, you could probably keep them swimming and the tops would likely still dry out in the summer because they just can't move the water up fast enough in 115°F heat. As long as you still have new growth, and they come back each Spring, you're probably OK.
However, a repot into fresh media next Spring, right before they come out of dormancy, wouldn't be a bad idea. That media looks a bit spent.
By sanguinearocks101
I would definitely repot. In the picture of both the one on the left is probably half luecophylla due to the white coloration and wavy lid. The one on the right probably has some luecophylla in it to to the wavy lid too.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!