FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Greenthumbs Garden
I'm wanting to try and grow some flytraps from seed, especially from the seed I've harvested this year.
Have you guys got any suggestions to share? I've tried twice in the past and got my plants about to about 6mm diameter before losing them to fungus or gnats.... when is the best time to lant, can I go for it right away? keeping them inside near a sunny window. I'll add more silica in next time I think also and keep a few cape sundews nearby.
Please share your growing experiences 😊
By tommyr
Keep the soil damp and keep in bright light but I wouldn't use direct Sun to germinate. Either bright indirect Sun or a bright florescent or LED light. Increase air flow a bit to keep fungus away. For Fungus gnats use a tiny piece of Mosquito dunks in your water can or water tray. It's all natural and safe. It will kill gnat larvae and prevent future generations.
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
@tommyr, Thanks Tommy. I need to find these dunks, I've heard about them before with BT in them but been unable to track them down.
By tommyr
Dr GreenThumb wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:51 pm @tommyr, Thanks Tommy. I need to find these dunks, I've heard about them before with BT in them but been unable to track them down.
There are several different BT products, do a google search for BT. I think one is called mosquito bits.
By Matt
I'd also recommend using finely ground up long-fiber sphagnum, which has natural anti-bacterial properties, or sterilizing your peat-based mix to try to give the seedlings a head start without having to fight off mold and algae growth.
By Greenthumbs Garden
@Matt, Thanks Matt. I'm growing most of my Cps in coco pith now but I do have a bag of finely ground LFS which now you mention it I will use for my seedlings.

Can I go a head and plant anytime, I might stick up some fluorescents in my studio for it as it's getting cold outside now and my windows aren't very bright.
By MikeB
I always put a layer of LFS on top of the soil. The seeds nestle in to the moss, and it helps to keep them damp. Also, since my plants are outside, the moss prevents the soil (and seeds) from getting washed out of the pot during rainstorms.
Attachments:
Flytrap seed tray.jpg
Flytrap seed tray.jpg (757.18 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
By Matt
@Dr GreenThumb,
Dr GreenThumb wrote:Can I go a head and plant anytime, I might stick up some fluorescents in my studio for it as it's getting cold outside now and my windows aren't very bright.
Yep, you can plant anytime but you'll definitely need artificial lighting this time of the year to get them started properly.
MikeB wrote:I always put a layer of LFS on top of the soil. The seeds nestle in to the moss, and it helps to keep them damp. Also, since my plants are outside, the moss prevents the soil (and seeds) from getting washed out of the pot during rainstorms.
Great strategy, @MikeB! And your baby flytraps look awesome. Definitely gonna be some great plants from that group! Where'd you source the seed? Did you grow them yourself?

Interesting to note, looking at the photo, that the biggest babies are near the edge of the pot. I wonder if that's because they want more aeration in the soil or if the edge of the pot is warmer? I've noticed that Heliamphora prefer to grow at the edge of pots when the soil is not "airy" enough for them. Perhaps this is the same phenomenon?
By MikeB
Matt wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:40 amGreat strategy, @MikeB! And your baby flytraps look awesome. Definitely gonna be some great plants from that group! Where'd you source the seed? Did you grow them yourself?
They are the offspring of my plants. I usually let Mother Nature do the pollination (the small, native bees to a good job), so they're a bit of this and a bit of that.
Matt wrote:Interesting to note, looking at the photo, that the biggest babies are near the edge of the pot. I wonder if that's because they want more aeration in the soil or if the edge of the pot is warmer? I've noticed that Heliamphora prefer to grow at the edge of pots when the soil is not "airy" enough for them. Perhaps this is the same phenomenon?
That's a good question. The soil mix is fairly loose (60% peat moss, 20% perlite, 20% coarse sand), and there are 8 drain holes in that 6" x 9" tray. I should do a test batch in a pot full of chopped sphagnum moss and see if that makes a difference.
By Greenthumbs Garden
@MikeB, looking great Mike. you just sprinkled them in that large container, how deep is it? If I can find a nice sized tray to start them in like this would be ideal. then just pick them out later on. Just bugs me if you get clumps growing too close together, but I can always pick them out and reposition I guess.
By MikeB
@Dr GreenThumb -- It's one of these:

Garland Half-Size Standard Seed Trays, no drainage holes, black
23cm L x 17cm W x 6cm H
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B9F2JSG

Quality U.K. product, sturdy and durable. The trays aren't super-deep, but it's enough that the seedlings can sit in them for at least 2 years. I couldn't find any in the U.S. that already had drain holes, so I broke out the electric drill and made 8 holes in the raised areas of the tray. If you don't want to do this, these already have holes:

Britten & James Mini Seed trays, 9" x 6.5" (22.5cm x 16cm), green
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079P4J8R1

I found them on Amazon.es, too (search for "garland bandeja").

I try to scatter the seeds evenly across the tray, but that can be easier said than done. And after a few rains, the seeds get redistributed whether I like it or not.
By Lyra

MikeB wrote:I always put a layer of LFS on top of the soil... Also, since my plants are outside, the moss prevents the soil (and seeds) from getting washed out of the pot during rainstorms.
I actually experience that, the weather was sunny for days, and I had a pot of D. Filiformis filiformis seedling outside already in LFS that was overcrowed. So, I decide to transplant some of the largest to another pot with a mixture of peat and sand. It rained the next day and the next, and for the rest of the week. They didn't stand a chance. I found a few, but most of them got washed away or buried. On the other hand the once in LFS stayed happy and most importantly alive.It was sad. I should have kept them inside till they rooted better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!