FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
I have nowhere near the Byblis knowledge of Fishman, but I have one small suggestion.

I have found Byblis liniflora germinate much better at warmer temperatures, say the mid 80s or better.

At warm temperatures, liniflora usually germinates in a month or so.

At normal room temperatures, it takes 2 months to a year for them to sprout.

But that is just my personal experience.
By Fishman
I agree with Shadowtski. Warm temps will help greatly. One week to a month on this one for me. My record with the particular liniflora species is three days. I will most likely never beat that one.
By CarnivoresUnite
Good morning!

I checked on the water germination and I can tell the seeds are absorbing some of the water like the other varieties do, but of course still too early. It stays pretty warm in the area where the test tubes average 78-82. I'll post pics as soon as they sprout..
By Fishman
CarnivoresUnite wrote:Good morning!

I checked on the water germination and I can tell the seeds are absorbing some of the water like the other varieties do, but of course still too early. It stays pretty warm in the area where the test tubes average 78-82. I'll post pics as soon as they sprout..
Please do. I am looking forward to hearing of your results :)
By CarnivoresUnite
Just a quick follow up, hopefully with pictures in the near future..

Simple water germination did the trick.

No other additives. I placed them in a test tube, 4 seeds, and 2 germinated within 6 days with a very small amount of light also provided!
By Fishman
Good stuff. Not liniflora, but here are a couple of Byblis aquatica that germinated after the seeds ejected from one of my plants a couple of weeks ago and fell into the water where my diffuser panels are that I have in the enclosure. I didn't see the seeds when they fell, but now it is becoming clearer that I lost several of them from a pod that opened. I'm leaving them as is, as I want to see how long I can keep them alive like that :-). I don't really need any more of this species anyhow and will be a fun experiment.
Congrats on germination btw!
Attachments:
20190925_064549.jpg
20190925_064549.jpg (396.41 KiB) Viewed 4877 times
Fishman, Fishman, Fishman liked this
By Jmarvint
Im from Asia Philippines.
Byblis liniflora Germinated after 7days.
I used smoke method in egg tray wrapped them with cling wrap Then smoked the inside by rolling paper and pierced at the wrap. Works best for me
Matt liked this
By Matt
@Jmarvint,
Jmarvint wrote:Im from Asia Philippines.
Byblis liniflora Germinated after 7days.
I used smoke method in egg tray wrapped them with cling wrap Then smoked the inside by rolling paper and pierced at the wrap. Works best for me
Welcome to the forums and thanks for the information on germinating Byblis seed!
By Cretaceous
Fishman wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am Freshness of seed and how the seeds were stored or handled prior to sowing is the key with liniflora.
So what are the freshness and storage requirements? I just harvested some seeds. How long will they last and where should I keep them? Thx
By Apollyon
I've germinated about 5 species of byblis so far using GA3. I honestly had weaker germination with GA3 on liniflora than the other species. However, the supplier of those seeds were different. It's hard to say what conditions the seeds were kept in prior to them being shipped to me. I also received some liniflora from the same guy who sold me the others. I might see if that has an impact. A fellow grower on this forum used a smoke disc to get the best results though the other species were less responsive than they were to GA3. It may be that some species respond to these various treatments different. I personally didn't use bleach because I read someone got leggy plants prone to dieback and an Aquatica I purchased from a cp nursery had those exact same symptoms. The offspring from that plant started wityh GA3 looks *much* better. Liniflora apparently does not need anything to get started, it apparently will germinate fine on its own. The rest of the species can take upwards of a year or more to germinate untreated. With GA3 I had germination of all species within 2 weeks.
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!