FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mo_carnivore
Depends on how far you're willing to go and the size of your grow space.. If you only have a few plants you need to chill but they need to get really cold, I'd recommend a modified chest freezer setup. If you don't want to go that crazy but are willing to put in a little bit of extra work to your daily routine, ice packs places into a terrarium at night do the trick for small enclosures. I've heard various takes on the usefulness of peltier coolers, but some people have said that those work great and are pretty cheap too. If you need to cool a larger area, air conditioners start to become a consideration.
There are also ways to use modified air conditioners or chest freezers to cool and pump water through a terrarium, but that's a bit too intensive for me. It seems like it could be your best bet if you want to maintain the aesthetics of your terrarium while still cooling it down sufficiently though.
By mo_carnivore
Again I'm not an expert at all on peltier coolers, I've never made one myself, but if you do a search for "peltier cooler" on the forum there is one thread that is very informative, it was written a few years ago I believe.
Sp0nser liked this
By Nepenthes0260
For my Heliamphora grow space I have an AC blowing into a closet, which has walls painted all white. I have a wire rack that I have two levels of helis on, and DIY humidity covers made out of clear vinyl on top to keep the humidity in. If I didn’t have those clear humidity domes the AC would strip all the moisture from the helis. The AC is set on a thermostat to kick on at 65 and to stop at 60, but warm air rises so the max the top heli shelf gets is 71.

I’ve also heard of several people running water through a mini fridge then through tubing in the setup. I personally haven’t tried this method though. I have heard that it works well.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!