FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DragonsEye
So the days are getting colder and days shorter. The Dreamsicle x self seedlings which sprouted for me this summer will need to go through a dormancy as I understand it. Dormancy will have to be done in my fridge as nothing survives a winter on my balcony. I was planning on leaving them out until frosts kill off the leaves then keeping them in pot in the fridge for the winter. This leads to the following questions:

1) Does that sound like it should work?

2) How long of a dormancy will they require?

3) Can I unpot them and instead just store them in the fridge in some damp sphag?
elaineo liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
1. Yes
2. 10 weeks is good. I personally wouldn't do more than 12 if I could help it. I usually have to go longer which causes problems like rot and mold.
3. Yes, barely damp. Too wet and the risk of rot and mold goes way up Storing them in a little dish of just damp sand works good too. Either way, a fungicide treatment helps but not 100%
By DragonsEye
Thanks for the input, Huntsmanshorn!
By DragonsEye
elaineo wrote:@DragonsEye, did you stratify your seeds before sprouting? I'm requesting some from the seed bank and want to be prepared. Thanks!
If I am remembering correctly, yes , I did. If memory serves, I sowed them and kept the pot in the fridge for the winter.
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
DragonsEye wrote:
elaineo wrote:@DragonsEye, did you stratify your seeds before sprouting? I'm requesting some from the seed bank and want to be prepared. Thanks!
If I am remembering correctly, yes , I did. If memory serves, I sowed them and kept the pot in the fridge for the winter.
Great, thank you.
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!