FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By bleuAylien
long story short, my little brother decorated his VFT with some rocks and after testing the soil a month later with a ph meter, its currently around 8.5 - 8.9

He started with the same supplies as me using a plastic pot, watered with rain water for the first month and distilled water for the last month. My two plant's ph currently measures 6.8 - 7.4. We both used the same soil, link is
https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Carnivor ... den&sr=1-3

The only difference from out plants were his rocks he added. So i'm assuming they contaminated the soil.

I've read that adding sulfur would lower the PH, does anyone have reccomendations? Is there a water mix solution that can be made to help lower it?
By Huntsmanshorn
I would probably just do a repot and call it a day but you can mix a little vinegar into a gallon of water and that would probably do the trick, but easy does it, too much vinegar will cause death. Another option is to make some strong black tea and water with the that, after allowing it to cool down of course. The second option is safer than the first but the first is easier than the second, so dealers choice. I've tried both, and both work for lowering soil ph, but you need to flush the soil well for best effect.
MikeB, Panman, bleuAylien and 1 others liked this
By bleuAylien
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:47 pm I would probably just do a repot and call it a day but you can mix a little vinegar into a gallon of water and that would probably do the trick, but easy does it, too much vinegar will cause death. Another option is to make some strong black tea and water with the that, after allowing it to cool down of course. The second option is safer than the first but the first is easier than the second, so dealers choice. I've tried both, and both work for lowering soil ph, but you need to flush the soil well for best effect.
Just wanted to come back and say we did a repot, and WOW. after about 3 days the plant is already looking greener and happier.
For anyone in a similar situation, would highly reccomend about just doing a repot instead of trying to mess with the soil.
Matt liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
bleuAylien wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:28 pm Just wanted to come back and say we did a repot, and WOW. after about 3 days the plant is already looking greener and happier.
For anyone in a similar situation, would highly reccomend about just doing a repot instead of trying to mess with the soil.
Yup, smart move, I think your plant (and you) will definitely be happier with your chosen course.
By tommyr
bleuAylien wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:28 pm Just wanted to come back and say we did a repot, and WOW. after about 3 days the plant is already looking greener and happier.
Flytraps should be re-potted every year or 2 anyway in late winter/early spring. Glad to here it's looking better!
Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!