FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By BullwinkleII
I bought this 10 days ago or so...
VFT age.jpg
VFT age.jpg (280.82 KiB) Viewed 3488 times
And it seems to have 3 very distinctly different types of traps. 1 is very small, the next has a broad leaf close to the ground, and the third is huge and tall.

Does this indicate 3 years of growth or anything?
By BullwinkleII
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:44 pm No, that’s just the difference between the summer and winter growth. The short and wide leaves are winter leaves, the long and tall ones are summer leaves.
Cool thanks.
By BullwinkleII
Panman wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:10 am Yep. Headed to dormancy.
I was hoping to be able to tell just how long it took to grow to this big.

I have a VFT that is a variety that's just called "Venus Fly Trap" when it's sold in South Australia. I still have no idea what the variety really is, but it's probably the easiest to grow and is definitely the most common one that I've seen in the last few weeks since I'm been learning about VFTs. A few weeks ago I noticed offshoots growing from around the base, did some research on this forum, and divided it up into six plants. (actually seven including the parent, but one didnt make it). Looking at the offshoots, and remembering what my original looked like when I bought it in a 1in pot, it looks like the offshoots might end up having a few full sized traps by the end of this growing season. Right now the little traps on the offshoot plants are only about 1/4 the length of the original parent, but from memory, the original looked pretty close to that size a year ago.

The difference is, that on that original common VFT, all the traps are the same size...
20201028 VFT parent under lights 1.jpg
20201028 VFT parent under lights 1.jpg (192.57 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
Same with that original plant's offshoots. all the traps are pretty much the same size in relation to each other...
20201028 VFT child 4 under lights.jpg
20201028 VFT child 4 under lights.jpg (177.96 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
But with the new mega-VFT I bought, there are 2 or 3 very different sizes of trap.
VFT age.jpg
VFT age.jpg (280.82 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
Either way, it doesn't really matter. I'm just wondering how much of my wife's stuff I'm going to need to throw out to make way for my new obsession, and how soon :)

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!