FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
The thing I've found the most depressing about being a programmer is that of all of the companies I have worked for, only two of them are still in business. Most of my life's work was deleted with the stroke of a button.
By evenwind
Agreed. And same deal with mergers and takeovers. The decisions of which software to keep and which to drop are usually far more political than logical.
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By bleuAylien
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:46 pm You like programming too? What languages do you use? I know a little bit of python 2 and some html. I’ll hopefully be expanding my knowledge of python sometime next year. I need to put my raspberry pi to work ;)
I'm still in uni, but for the four months i've been using React Native. Before that for about 2 years I was doing web development. And before that, I was trying to get into VR with C# and Unity. I've mainly built projects just for fun, but as i'm getting older i've recently decided to try and publish an app with react native.
I have a raspberry pi also! I have as SD card with retro pi where my little brother usually plays super nintendo games on it. I also use it as a second desktop when i need one
By bleuAylien
Panman wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:00 pm The thing I've found the most depressing about being a programmer is that of all of the companies I have worked for, only two of them are still in business. Most of my life's work was deleted with the stroke of a button.
What did you do for the companys that you worked for? They couldnt just save the software somewhere for potential later use?
By Panman
They were in various industries. But when they shutdown, the software they owned went the way of the file cabinets and everything else. There isn't much use for custom software outside of the company that it was built for.

And sorry for hijacking your thread. :D
By MikeB
Panman wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:07 amIt has changed a lot since then. No more columns, modern constructs, integrated SQL database access. It's as modern as any other current language.
I looked at the overview for RPG IV / ILE RPG. I'm glad they overhauled it. Trying to shoehorn complicated code into RPG II's program cycle was a royal pain.
By Panman
Yep. I haven't used the program cycle in 20 years. Even RPG III was good without the cycle.
Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!