FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By bleuAylien
Hello guys,
today i finally decided to make an account. Bought my first VFT about 2 months ago and just bought a second one about a week ago. After searching and googling constant for every little thing from lighting, to watering, and temps; i've decided to become part of the community. I love forums, specifically programming forums so i'm very much looking forward to chatting here with you guys! thanks for all the info you've given me. Hopefully I can do the same for some people
uxleumas liked this
By Panman
Welcome to the forum. You are right, there is a ton of good information (and a few decent people ;) ) on this forum.
By sanguinearocks101
You like programming too? What languages do you use? I know a little bit of python 2 and some html. I’ll hopefully be expanding my knowledge of python sometime next year. I need to put my raspberry pi to work ;)
By evenwind
Panman wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:07 pm Pfft, python. I code in RPG. Probably never heard of it either, have you?
Pfft, RPG. IBM Assembly Language :mrgreen:

And Welcome, bleuAylien!
By Panman
evenwind wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:18 pm Pfft, RPG. IBM Assembly Language :mrgreen:
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:23 pmDo you code for your job? I just do it on the side because why not.
Not as much as I would like but it is part of the job.
By sanguinearocks101
evenwind wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:18 pm Pfft, RPG. IBM Assembly Language :mrgreen:
Wow, do you use that for your job? If so I don’t see why they don’t have you use a higher level language, it’d probably be a lot easier to get people for the job.
By Panman
It has changed a lot since then. No more columns, modern constructs, integrated SQL database access. It's as modern as any other current language.
By evenwind
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:33 am Wow, do you use that for your job? If so I don’t see why they don’t have you use a higher level language, it’d probably be a lot easier to get people for the job.
It certainly would be easier to get people, but what about the tens of thousands of lines of existing code that are still going to need maintenance? Do the new people get trained in the old language? Are they even willing to learn it? If you try to isolate pieces of a large integrated system so the new kids only work on the new language stuff and the old goats only work on the old stuff, you can easily wind up with a situation where half your people are working their butts off while the other half are doing squat all. And just think of the attendant morale problems. Adding a new language to an existing system can be done but it can't be done causally.

Besides, Assembly Language is the purest language of all, merely a thin veneer laid over actual machine code. It is an honor to be allowed to use it. :P
By Panman
I truly have respect for you coding in assembler. The last time I dealt with that was back in the 80s on a card punch Univac. And that was only in college. It was fun in a challenging way.
By evenwind
Well, I appreciate that. I put in four decades of BAL. Mostly, it just seemed natural.

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!