FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Inklev
I have a lot of rainwater in a tub outside and I wonder if there's any way I can filter all the debris and bugs out manually. I don't have a water butt or anything like that. I've thought of filtering it through a cloth but I worry if this might be bad considering flytraps are sensitive to what's in their water and the cloth might have some product still in it from when it was washed.
By twitcher
Cloth is probably the best way to go. Just remove some of the rainwater from the tub and soak.rinse the cloth in the rain water well before you use it as a filter. Discard the soak/rinse water. Use a finely woven piece of cloth as your filter. Just keep in mind that rain water sitting in a tub outside is also accumulating dissolved solids from dust, rotting debris in addition to the stuff floating in it. The purchase of a Zerowater filter would be a good second step after you have removed the physical debris. It comes with a tds meter and would be helpful to you for testing other cp related materials, as well as the raw rainwaer. A recommended purchase.
By ChefDean
Just use a coffee filter. It may take a little longer as you may have to stop/start or go slow, but it will filter out the debris.
As it's rain water to begin with, you don't have to worry about anything that you can't see.
By tommyr
I just use a colander with small netting, I don't go too crazy about every tiny thing that gets in. I'm not that anal about it.
By bleuAylien
you can try filtering through a cloth, and also buying a TDS meter. I believe i read in another forum that as long as the TDS meter is below 50 it's fine for VFT. the closer to 0, the better.

This is the method that I did, I have 2 blue large bins of rain water and move it over to a water bottle to water my plant. I always test the water first and TDS shows 7 - 13
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!