FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Granpa Walt
My S. Purpurea have been doing badly, my fault, I have been neglecting them due to failing health. The pitchers have been browning and getting small holes in them. My old (first CP) mother plant finally died. On further inspection I found the culprit, small pond snails. I started checking all of the plants carefully and found two or three Pond snails on each one. Every other day I find Pond snails on a plant or two. I attributed the snails to the high water conditions we have had from the five hurricanes to make landfall. My yard gets eight inchs of water and is drives the snails climbing to dry ground, on my doors and anywhere else they can find a dryer place. Has anyone else had this problem?
What can I use what can I use to drive off or kill the snails without killing my plants?
will neem oil do it?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

By Huntsmanshorn
I had a similar problem one year with slugs chewing up my Purps, very annoying to be sure. However, as to neem oil being an effective anti snail agent, I believe it works against aquatic snails, but unfortunately, not against terrestrial snails or slugs.
By murrkywaters
You could try dusting the ground with diatomaceous earth. It's cheap, easy to find, and environmentally safe

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
It's almost completely silica. If you're concerned about calcium deposits you can always wash the other minerals out and place it along the boarder of the area you want to keep the pests out of.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Panman liked this
By Granpa Walt
The eye of Hurricane Zeta passed directly over our house at 5:20pm Tuesday; only 8 inches of water against our house, no damage, plants ok, this will drive up more pond snails.

Thank you for your input. Barriers will not work because frequent rains will wash them away. Open to more suggestions, ones that have been tried and is used on a regular basis by someone with very similar problems.

By ChefDean
I think everyone is missing the obvious solution. Or maybe it's just more apparent to me being a Chef.
Escargot!
Hear me out, hear me out.
Catch the snails, put them into a container with a lid for 24 hours so they can purge their digestive system. (Poop everything out)
Rinse in warm water, then stuff a chunk of butter that has been compounded with Burgundy wine, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper.
Place in a 450°F oven for 10 minutes. Serve hot with a crusty baguette, sliced on a bias.
Heaven in a shell.
uxleumas liked this
By Panman
ChefDean wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:41 pm I think everyone is missing the obvious solution. Or maybe it's just more apparent to me being a Chef.
Escargot!
Um, No. My plants might not appreciate me taking their food.
Granpa Walt wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:49 am Barriers will not work because frequent rains will wash them away.
Have you tried copper mesh barriers? I've heard that it works like an electric fence for slugs. I have a roll of it but I have never used it. You can Google copper slug barrier and see what I am talking about.

Also, I don't know if it works for snails, but for slugs you can leave out a small sauce of beer. The slugs crawl into it and drown.
By sanguinearocks101
ChefDean wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:41 pm I think everyone is missing the obvious solution. Or maybe it's just more apparent to me being a Chef.
Escargot!
Hear me out, hear me out.
Catch the snails, put them into a container with a lid for 24 hours so they can purge their digestive system. (Poop everything out)
Rinse in warm water, then stuff a chunk of butter that has been compounded with Burgundy wine, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper.
Place in a 450°F oven for 10 minutes. Serve hot with a crusty baguette, sliced on a bias.
Heaven in a shell.
Do you actually eat that? I know it’s not that weird to eat a food like that, our brains just call way too many things disgusting. I apparently ate a roly-poly(I don’t know it that’s what they’re actually called that’s just what I called them when I grew up) and I have no memory of doing so but apparently some of my relatives saw me do so.
By SundewWolf
Any pictures? Pond snails don't really go terrestrial, and rain and flooding wouldn't make them leave their original aquatic habitat. They may be Amber snails aka succinea which are fully terrestrial however look aquatic in appearance to many people. Any way you can attach a pic? or approx size and color of these snails? If it's going to keep raining I don't think chemical solutions would be very effective either, plus you get a lot of run off into the environment. If you go to costco and get a giant container of cayenne and garlic powder and sprinkle it all over the affected area it should keep them away until it starts getting washed away with rains.
By Granpa Walt
I believe what you called a Roly-Poly is what my children called a Doodle Bug, a tiny insect about 3/4 in long with a segmented back and about a dozen tiny legs that rolls itself into a ball when confronted. My fifth child, a tiny tough little girl, used to catch and eat them until she was around 4 years old .

sanguinearocks101 liked this
My sundew isn’t eating!

Now comes the hard part...patience!!! :lol: They[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!