FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By blams
Have it in my sunroom . Zone 5b. Will eventually have to do something when it gets too cold, but it's good in there for now. Plenty of light, but not heated.

Should I be misting it and how often? Keep it in a tray of water, I assume.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
When I lived in a cooler climate we would much our perennials. I assume the same would be true of carnivorous plants. Idk if there is a low nutrient mulch you can use. Washed pine bark, or coco coir?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Panman
I have been mulching mine with oak leaves but I am very careful to get them all out in the spring and give it a good flushing. The key to dormancy is to prevent them from freezing/thawing cycles and to keep them from drying out without them sitting in water. An unheated, protected space along with some sort of mulch or insulation should be fine for dormancy.
By blams
Panman wrote:I have been mulching mine with oak leaves but I am very careful to get them all out in the spring and give it a good flushing. The key to dormancy is to prevent them from freezing/thawing cycles and to keep them from drying out without them sitting in water. An unheated, protected space along with some sort of mulch or insulation should be fine for dormancy.
Can I mulch my VFT as well?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By optique
blams wrote:Can I mulch my VFT as well?
yes
By Huntsmanshorn
blams wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:41 pm Have it in my sunroom . Zone 5b. Will eventually have to do something when it gets too cold, but it's good in there for now. Plenty of light, but not heated.
Judith Hindle is pretty cold hardy, you can probably get away with leaving it in the sun room all winter. I used to over winter mine in an unheated garage and it survived and flourished for years.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!