FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mvenenga
Hello All! New to the hobby so I decided to dip my toes in this past spring. I bought a five plant starter kit and I'm now heading into my first fall with the plants. All my plants are currently and have always been indoor (not temperature controlled throughout summer). They are located on a tea cart next to our kitchen window. All receive direct morning light and indirect the rest of the day.

Background: I have a Nepenthes Bloody Mary and its mature leaves have started turning purple(ish) red. This first started late summer and I thought it might be sun burn and then attempted to adjust accordingly. It hasn't seemed to make any difference.

Since then fall has begun where I live with outdoor daily highs around 50F or 10C. We haven't turned on the heat yet, so the apartment its around 70F or 21C.

Question: Is this just the start of winter dormancy or is something wrong? If something is wrong, what might it be and how could I fix it? Finally, should I move them to my cellar for winter (much cooler with only indirect light from a small garden window in the morning)?

Thanks for any help!
Attachments:
20201028_164022.jpg
20201028_164022.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 4435 times
20201028_164028.jpg
20201028_164028.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 4435 times
By Shadowtski
50 degrees is the lowest temperature your Bloody Mary will be reasonably happy with.
But that's outside his comfort zone.
As the previous response stated, this is a tropical plant, no dormancy wanted or needed.
Put him inside in a very bright window.
Don't be surprised if he sulks for a month or so looking unhappy, it's probably just a tantrum.
Bloody Mary was designed as a mass market commercial Nepenthes.
He's designed to thrive in window sill cultivation, once he gets used to his new digs.

Just my 02¢ worth.
Mike
mvenenga liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!