FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By camsdad66
TrapHappy....me too! Kills me how it's labeled as one of the easiest CPs ever, perfect beginner's plant, etc!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
What I've learned from killing the first one was that water and light are musts. I let it dry out a bit in a north facing window that winter and it did not survive. Temperature matters less. Capes native range is actually subtropical rather than tropical and they can handle much wider temperature ranges than most will give them credit for.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By nimbulan
Besides the usual sundew concerns of strong light and ample water, the only other stumbling block for cape sundews is that they, like basically all South African plants, are heat-sensitive. It's extremely difficult to grow them in a tropical climate or even sub-tropical areas like Florida. Locations with hot summers (particularly coupled with warm nights) are also very hard on the plants.
By JoshDoe
From seed I've never had better germination than with Sundews. I would agreee with the experts they are by far the easiest, but you gotta learn. Yes, dry soil is the fastest way to kill almost all carnivorous plants in my experience. However too moist and you'll get mold/fungus which has killed several of my babies. There's a lot of posts about how to stop or curb Mold I'd say I'm not the best source (see the previous sentence). I'd say keep at it, the seed bank has what seems like an infinite supply of cape sundews so kill away until you get it down. Remember Thomas Edison found 99 ways to NOT to make a lightbulb before finding 1 that did. Happy growing.
By murrkywaters
I'd tend to agree with that. I think mold isn't a huge issue for me because I have good airflow in my grow tent. I do have algae issues, but it has more to do with the algae farm I have indoors than anything.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Supercazzola liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!