FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By VFTNoob
Hey guys,

I have just about given up finding #12 sand for my potting mixes. I read in a succulent group that they use insoluble chicken grit.

Wondering if this was safe for flytraps or if anyone has had experience using chicken grit. Is granite minerally inert or would it leak minerals into the soil eventually?
By twitcher
Just a heads up. I tried chicken grit as well for my pinguicula. Unfortunately, some chicken grits are nutritionally enhanced to promote better bird health and growth. Be sure what you are using does not have that. I did not have good results with it and it was hard to get it clean of the additives. Could not find a grit that did not have it so be sure to check the bag for what all is in there. I moved on to pool sand and aquatic potting soil (fired clay)
Huntsmanshorn, VFTNoob liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
twitcher wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:17 am Just a heads up. I tried chicken grit as well for my pinguicula. Unfortunately, some chicken grits are nutritionally enhanced to promote better bird health and growth. Be sure what you are using does not have that. I did not have good results with it and it was hard to get it clean of the additives. Could not find a grit that did not have it so be sure to check the bag for what all is in there. I moved on to pool sand and aquatic potting soil (fired clay)
That's very interesting I didn't know such a thing existed, sounds like a good idea... for chickens anyway. Thanks for the heads up John, good tip.
Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!