FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By catalinux777
Hi Guys,

I’m new here and new to growing carnivorous plants so I would like to get some help from you please. I just bought my first Drosera Capensis, or that’s what I think it is…Could you please confirm?
The plant doesn’t look too good in my opinion, the leaves are beginning to get brown and die starting from the top and no dew is produced at all. I got it fro a super-market where it probably didn’t see the light of the day and the soil was dried out. I live in Romania where is now autumn and I don’t have direct sunlight on my windows. Can I grow the plant without special artificial light? Is the room’s light bulb enough?
Do you think I can rescue it, and if yes how?
Should I repot the plant, in what kind of soil, is general flower soil good?
I think there are actually two or three plants in there… should I split them apart in different pots?
20201024_031225.jpg
20201024_031225.jpg (608.99 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
20201023_233317.jpg
20201023_233317.jpg (408.71 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
Thank You,
Catalin
By sanguinearocks101
Use a 50/50 mix of peat moss and perlite to repot it in make sure it has no added nutrients. Direct sunlight isn’t necessary, bright indirect light should be good. The soil looks too wet.
catalinux777 liked this
By optique
you can split them if you want if not they will be just fine. I grow mine in windows that get direct sunlight, they need the energy for making dew. they also really good gnat catchers.

If it is your 1st carnivorous plant i would do some reading about the low mineral requirements for the potting media and water.
catalinux777 liked this
By Apollyon
You're definitely right about it never having a lot of light. It isn't displaying any of its healthy color. That'll change with time. I agree with the other two, it needs to have some drainage. They can be divided but they have a really cool appearance if grown together. I personally let my plants offshoots grow from the main plant to give it a more robust look lol. 50/50 peat/perlite or peat-silica/pool filter sand and in a moderate amount of water. Capensis are survivors. That one grew in some bad conditions. If you can't get it repotted right away, I'd get it in a low level of water, like 1/4-1/2 inch to keep it damp and get it by a window. It'll take a little while but it'll perk up and do its thing. They grow pretty fast when they get going.
catalinux777 liked this
By DragonsEye
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:08 amThe soil looks too wet.
Considering I grow mine standing in water at all times, I wouldn't think wet media be a big issue. I also give mine as much light as I possible can -- especially over the summer they get direct sun for 6+ hours.

Media can be pure sphagnum or a mix of peat and either Turface or chicken grit or perlite. Personally, I despise perlite.

If the media ever dries out, the little tentacles on the leaves that get the dew on them usually dry up and, in my experience, never produce dew again. When that happens, you will have to wait for new leaves to grow. If the plant doesn't get enough light, you will not get any dew forming. (The dew is largely sugar based. All green plants use light to produce sugars as an energy source for the plant cells to use. If Drosera do not get enough light, they will not have enough excess sugars to manufacture the dew.)

Water quality may be your bigger challenge. If you are using water from your sink, the tds (total dissolved solids/minerals) levels may be high. Most carnivorous plants have issues when the tds levels are high. For that reason, you may need to look for pure water sources like rain (or melted snow) water, reverse osmosis water, or distilled water.
catalinux777 liked this
By catalinux777
DragonsEye wrote: If the media ever dries out, the little tentacles on the leaves that get the dew on them usually dry up and, in my experience, never produce dew again.
Hi DragonsEye,

Thank you for your reply! Should I prune the leaves that are starting to become brown or I should just leave the plant be?
Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!