FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Phantom23
Hi,
My Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora is acting up lately - it tries to grow a dry pitcher. One is dry from the ground up, the second one dried out and ... still grows. I've never seen anything like that. I noticed it in September (which was pretty warm this year) and it looked like that:

One month later the first one is just a bit taller and still fully dry:

While the other one dried out completely but still growed a little:

It's even twisting at the bottom:

I have no idea what could be an issue here, other tha that the plant seems to be very healthy, it produced a couple of nice 2 feet tall pitchers this year, I cannot spot any pests/insects but it cannot be normal, right?
By ChefDean
I don't think it's anything to worry about. It looks like a failed phyllodia, plus it's likely getting ready for winter dormancy. I don't know where you live, but you're probably experiencing temp swings this time of year. In my corner of Tennessee, it was 80's two weeks ago, 50's a week ago, 80's this week, and 50's and 60's for the next two weeks. My lows have been anywhere from low 30's, no frost yet, to high 60's. My Sarrs are all confused!
But, with the consistently cooler temps coming, they'll figure it out, and so will yours.
By Panman
7b just south of Atlanta. But mine always quit producing pitchers early. On the other hand, my lecos and purps are still grinding out pitchers.
By Phantom23
ChefDean wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:35 pm I don't think it's anything to worry about. It looks like a failed phyllodia, plus it's likely getting ready for winter dormancy. I don't know where you live, but you're probably experiencing temp swings this time of year.
Map says I'm in the 5a zone (that's why I'm growing my plants indoors), temp swings are happening now but early September was quite warm and stable. Also the first failed leave is fairly thick, it looks more like a young pitcher than a phyllodia (I thought phylodes were meant to grow especially during winter). I'm worried because I've never seen anything like that before but hopefully you're right.
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!