FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
My setup for highland plants is nonexistant, does anyone have a good design for a highland grow chamber? I was thinking about using peltiers and a water based heat exchanger so I could keep the hot side far away from the plants. Water has a good heat capacity and provides humidity, so I thought it might be a good place to start.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
Well, I need a more permanent setup for my helis, and I was thinking of expanding into the world of highland neps over the next year or so. No solid plans yet but having a hamata or edwardsiana is up there in terms of goals. I'd really like to seed grow as much as possible

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
This is a 4 peltier cooling unit. I've got a water block on the hot side and fans on the cold side

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
Here is the other side. I was thinking I could use the got side to warm a seedling tray if it's not scalding. Image

By murrkywaters
Jose, you don't know me or my background, so I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. Please don't just jump on to my posts to be the contrarian, unless you've run the math. There are four TEC1-12706 peltier devices providing me a drop of a theoretical maximum of 8° C below ambient for 20L of space. Since the enclosed space is 1 ft³ or roughly 29 L I can expect probably closer to 5° C with all other imperfections accounted for. Assuming the ambient temperature of the grow tent is 85° F or 29° C that temperature drop should take it down to 24° C during the peak temperature of the day. Factoring in for the greenhouse effect is where the math gets tricky. Fortunately I've been running an experiment over the last week and it turns out keeping a reservoir of water in 32° C weather outside in direct sun resulted in minimum of 4°C increase from the daily minimum 20° C the peltier cooling unit is probably overkill but I have a programmable thermocouple and microcontroller coming so I can set a range for it to operate in. I'm also waiting on a waterproof power supply that can deliver the theoretical 288 W. The real test will be when I power it on. Seeing as there has been reports of success with just two TEC1-12706 units, I think it'll be fine. If you have some disagreements with my math, please show me where my error is. I'm always up to learn something new. Otherwise I'll ask you kindly to find a different outlet for your negativity.

Supercazzola liked this
By jose
Negativity? :roll:

I know several people who have attempted peltier cooled setups without success. Just saying to keep us posted if you have luck
By murrkywaters
Numbers friend, or your input is useless. What units were they using? How much volume were they trying to cool? How was the chamber insulated? Were the peltier devices set up in a heat pump? Series or parallel? How were the peltier devices mounted? Do you see what I'm saying?

Supercazzola liked this
By jose
No I don’t see what you’re saying because I’m not the one making the peltier cooled setup and I never attempted to. To the best of my knowledge it’s not often successful from what I hear. Specifics I do not know so then my input is “useless.” It’s sad that you think my comment of it not being successful often but telling you to keep us updated as an encouragement is somehow negative
By murrkywaters
I say that because without those details I'm unable to learn from their failures. It's like telling someone "good luck with your date tonight, people do get divorced, but still good luck" I couldn't do anything with the "people do get divorced" bit. This isn't the first post I've made that you've jumped on to to tell me I'm wrong without telling me why, so forgive me if I seem a little hesitant to accept your words of encouragement.

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!