FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By idwaneo
Hello, is it a good idea to add charcoal to flytraps mix. I read somewhere that during fires in its real habitat the charcoal helps seeds to germinate, but is it good to stay in the mix of peat moss and perlite, or it will make the soil to become neutral or cause mineral burn?
By Sundeewz
It would probably not do much of anything at all. Just stay with the standard mix.
By uxleumas
activated charcoal tends to suck out dirty stuff. don't think it'd do anything though. there shouldn't be any nutrients but rinse it to make sure. i suggest to take 1 tsp and use a mortar and pestle to grind it. then use a sieve to get a powder. try sprinkling over seeds on a small part to test if it does anything. vft seeds don't need any extra stuff for germination though. for some plants that's the case but not for vfts(i think).
By EricSg
Well, I did put some charcoal on my plant to dry some fungal growth which was probably due to poor air circulation.

No harm was done to the plant and it grew happily with charcoal specks on the leaves.
By Jonathan the guru
i think charcoal takes it only bad stuf but doesn’t affect the good stuff.
uxleumas wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:39 pm activated charcoal tends to suck out dirty stuff.
Like dirty images?
By murrkywaters
Be careful with charcoal. It needs to be rinsed thoroughly because it can contain potassium and sodium hydroxides as well as other compounds that can damage your plants.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By uxleumas
murrkywaters wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:57 pm Be careful with charcoal. It needs to be rinsed thoroughly because it can contain potassium and sodium hydroxides as well as other compounds that can damage your plants.

i've never had any hydroxide problems. surely hydroxides would also kill the fish? (i use activated charcoal for fish filters)
By murrkywaters
Activated charcoal is nearly pure carbon, whereas charcoal from a fire pit would be an issue. Leaching a pile of ash is where people used to get potassium hydroxide for soap making.

By uxleumas
murrkywaters wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:53 pm Activated charcoal is nearly pure carbon, whereas charcoal from a fire pit would be an issue. Leaching a pile of ash is where people used to get potassium hydroxide for soap making.

don't they have to add calcium hydroxide? i thought ash had potassium carbonate? (unless the fire is hot enough to decompose it)
By murrkywaters
White ash from hardwood has gotten hot enough to produce KOH. Without leaching to ash a bunch the pH will be enough to kill your plants.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!