FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Frameunlucky
My son wanted one so bad and I'm not gonna lie, I did as well. Its day 2 with the baby flytrap and i already see that there are tiny bugs in the soil, I also think my son put more water in the already moist soil when i was outside doing something. Sneaky little creeper! Anyways, the flytrap is just a little guy but its healthy for the most part, I'm concerned about the tiny bugs in the soil, they jump and might be spring tails, but I'm not so sure, there are black ones and also white colored ones, both of them jump... anyways, if the plant is still doing as well tomorrow as it has been I'm just going to let it sit and see how it does for the next few days and if it started to act wierd I'll take a photo and see what y'all think. Either way, I have no IDEA how to take care of a normal plant let alone a carnivorous plant.... so ANY advice you have to offer I will gladly take. Thank ya!
By ChefDean
Welcome to the forum.
You're in the right place to get some answers, and the easiest way to get most of them is here.
beginners-before-posting-your-question- ... 11581.html
There are a couple of links to very good growing tips to help you and your son enjoy your plants for a long time.
If you still have questions after that, and you probably will, ask away.
Chef
sanguinearocks101 liked this
By uxleumas
Frameunlucky wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:19 am My son wanted one so bad and I'm not gonna lie, I did as well. Its day 2 with the baby flytrap and i already see that there are tiny bugs in the soil, I also think my son put more water in the already moist soil when i was outside doing something. Sneaky little creeper! Anyways, the flytrap is just a little guy but its healthy for the most part, I'm concerned about the tiny bugs in the soil, they jump and might be spring tails, but I'm not so sure, there are black ones and also white colored ones, both of them jump... anyways, if the plant is still doing as well tomorrow as it has been I'm just going to let it sit and see how it does for the next few days and if it started to act wierd I'll take a photo and see what y'all think. Either way, I have no IDEA how to take care of a normal plant let alone a carnivorous plant.... so ANY advice you have to offer I will gladly take. Thank ya!
make sure that they're not potted in actual soil, they need special soil without any nutrients, also springtails rarely cause any harm. vfts only really need 4 things(along with some common sense. don't try to feed them sushi like i did when i was little or forget to water it)
Water, light,dormancy, and soil.
water- only use distilled water, rain water, or if you're lucky, tapwater with a ppm smaller than around 50ish.
light- give around 3+ hours if direct sun and as much indirect sun as possible (u can also use grow light like i do but it's tricky to get them the correct kind.) make sure to acclimate them to sun.
dormancy- they kinda hibernate each winter. they grow a lot slower, gets a lot less light, search up for more info as it's complicated.
soil- only use soil that has no minerals. NEVER use mirical grow, it's like liquid poison to them. (you can experiment with some other fertilizers though dilute to at least 10% of regular strength.)
edit- each time the trap triggers the plant looses energy, so don't trigger them unless there's actualy food
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!