FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By rikos4ey
Browsing through the posts, it seems like most of you plant your VFT in soil?

Mine are in sphagnum moss.

Has anyone transferred from Sphagnum to Soil? Results? Tips?

Pros vs cons?

Thanks.
By MikeB
I use soil (a 3:1:1 mix of peat moss, perlite, and coarse sand) because I have a lot of plants, and soil is much less expensive than sphagnum moss. Other people swear by sphagnum moss, saying that it encourages their plants to grow bigger. I have a handful of plants in sphagnum moss, and I haven't noticed any difference between them and the ones in soil.
rikos4ey liked this
By jose
Planting in peat makes it easier to repot. The root growth is supposed to be better in Sphagnum but I’m growing a plant not roots. They are less likely to dry out in peat if you forget to water them. Just add some perlite to the peat - some cultivars like more perlite than others
By Matt
High-quality sphagnum will result in much faster growth and ultimately healthier plants because there are not as many problems growing in it as there are in peat. However, peat-based mixtures work just fine (most of the time). It is just more susceptible to having high mineral content and lots of mold, algae and other nasties in it that can dramatically slow down growth or even kill flytraps.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!