FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
Just spotted a rorida seedling. It's got a lot of anthocyanin in it and it's right up on the edge of the pot, so it's probably a few days old to a week. It was very hard to spot until it started branching. Still no movement on the gigantea.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:Just spotted a rorida seedling. It's got a lot of anthocyanin in it and it's right up on the edge of the pot, so it's probably a few days old to a week. It was very hard to spot until it started branching. Still no movement on the gigantea.

Very nice! The Roridas I germinated came out *very* green, except for one where it almost looked wilted. It has since gained some vigor and color. I accidentally washed out one of my aquaticas I think but the one prominent one I can tell will be a beast if it survives. I'm happy for that because the mother plant is a letdown. I have a feeling the offspring will be more majestic lol.
By murrkywaters
I'm planting a bunch more seeds today! The GA3 and GA3 + Smoke Water seeds are ready. I also treated some catnip seeds, Drosera gigantea, and Drosera sessilifolia seeds with the GA3 which I'll plant today soon.

By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:I'm planting a bunch more seeds today! The GA3 and GA3 + Smoke Water seeds are ready. I also treated some catnip seeds, Drosera gigantea, and Drosera sessilifolia seeds with the GA3 which I'll plant today soon.

hah! interesting you say that I mixed up some ga3 last night to go for round 2 myself. It didn't break down as well as I'd like. I'm going to leave the mixture. I'm interested to hear how the tuberous seeds play out. What kind of ppm and time for soaking did you try for the gigantea?

If it works for you I may beg for some tuberous seeds somewhere to try in the next month and do my maxsea thing I've been doing. I do believe I can get them the nutrition they need before they die back. I have some auriculata sprouting right now though. That was my first foray into tuberous.
By murrkywaters
Same as everything else. 5 days in the GA3. You might try adding a drop or two of azeotropic isopropyl alcohol to increase the solubility.

By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:Same as everything else. 5 days in the GA3. You might try adding a drop or two of azeotropic isopropyl alcohol to increase the solubility.

I did, I used 91% but I didn't have a practical means to heat it up (microwave is shot) so I had to do it cold. It did break it down faster, but it took hours to completely dissolve. I have the mixture now. You soaked the annual byblis for 5 days and it worked? Nice. Were you doing a concentration like mine? It'd be good to know that there's some breathing room. I was worried about destroying the seeds. I wonder if another couple hours would get them to sprout faster. I was able to harvest some more of my aquatica seeds and I have germination now so I may mess with these new ones a bit.
By murrkywaters
I have two sprouts from that run now. One guehoi and one rorida. I was pretty surprised with the rorida because of how mushy the seeds felt. Both were from the GA3 only batch

By Apollyon
In only a few days? Not bad! I looked at my pots again today and a few aquatica and liniflora crept up on me out of nowhere. I'll need to transplant eventually. I'm just glad the aquaticas are doing well. They weren't marked but I could tell right away when they sprouted what they were. They're much wider than the others. My roridas are doing well now. One is about an inch tall or so with several nodes. I did an experiment myself, I left them in the mixture for about 36 hours instead of 24. Some evaporated so I added water back into it. Part of why I decided to extend it. This time it was guehoi, aquatica, and filifolia giant. I didnt see any seeds that looked outright bad so we'll see how they go. Nice job though, my transplants will go into peat pots. Hoping to have good results after the info you shared. Keep me posted. I'd like to know about their growth too. If it seems like it was inhibited in some way or enhanced.
By murrkywaters
Thats a good size! When did you plant them? Have you fed them at all? Mine get their first foliar feed next week.

By Apollyon
Sowed them on 9/24. That one sprouted on the 27th. I did foliar feed it twice. I do it once a week, a light spray. 1/2 tsp per gallon. It may not be as potent because i store the mixture but I haven't had issues. It's past the point where its getting nutrients from the seed. it's really done its work this week though. The others began popping up over the last couple days.
Last edited by Apollyon on Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Apollyon
Typically ill wait until it develops its first nodes of "true leaves" but I do hit them sooner than most would.
By murrkywaters
I usually start them with a weak maxsea dose after I can clearly see a carnivorous leaf form. 30~50 ppm. I also do all the plants on the same day, so I don't have to mix multiple batches. I dilute as I go. I might add a tiny amount to the sprayer today. Probably about 10 ppm as I use very pure water which tends to strip the minerals.

By Apollyon
Another update:

A few days ago I noticed 3 Aquatica seedlings had pushed up and began growing under the radar. There was 1 liniflora germination (surprising because I hear these germinate quite well on their own. They also appear to show the least growth in my conditions.) The rock stars of this bunch are the Rorida however. One plant in particular dwarfs all of the others. The stem on it is currently an inch and a quarter with larger nodes growing every day. It is also beginning to color up. The others in the pot germinated a few days later, with the center one looking very weak at first but it has recovered. The aquatica robust form were easy to recognize from the thick stems it produced immediately. I had forgot to mark the pots so there was some confusion at first. Wanted to share a couple of pictures. This experience has taught me to wash my peat moss in the future though.Separating these plants with their delicate roots will not be fun but after they leave the humidity chamber and I change my watering schedule, I hope to eliminate most of that. They rest in a water tray with a bottom layer of sphagnum to slowly wick the moisture from the shallow pool beneath.
Attachments:
Byblis Liniflora
Byblis Liniflora
20201015_155623.jpg (3.79 MiB) Viewed 5018 times
Rorida is a beast
Rorida is a beast
20201015_154413.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 5018 times
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!