FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
I like playing this game called "sew a variety pack of seeds and see what comes up" I usually do this with vegetables, but I figured I'd try it with our favorite hungry little plants! I do not know what species were in the bag, but there were 50+ seeds, all cross pollinated from a popular carnivorous plant nursery. The sprouting has begun so I figured I'd start posting. The prize? Internet bragging rights! *If* there is something interesting in the mix *and* I can successfully propagate it, winners may get a plant or seeds in the mail. That is a big *IF* so bragging rights is all I can promise for now.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By murrkywaters
Entry #1
Please note: images through the loupe are at 60x and are limited in focus because I have a tremor. As these plants develop I will update them appropriately.ImageImageImage

By murrkywaters
That's all I see small roots on for now. As a wise man on the internet once said "looking at plants makes you feel less homicidal" and after work today, I can say that's definitely the case. I'll keep updating as more plants spring up. I have 3 more similar seed packs on the way, so be looking forwards to that too.

By murrkywaters
Update- the good, and the bad.
Bad news first. I spilled that tray of seeds while rearranging.
Good news! I got a east coast style bog for plants that require dormancy. With that order were 3 more assorted seed packs. I sowed each pack in a different container. Let the games commence!Image

By murrkywaters
Almost certainly. I also expect some capensis, and S. Purpurea.

By murrkywaters
Seed leaves are out! This is the only one big enough to get on my cell phone. It looks like I might have a drosera patch or two coming up, or it could be the tips of sphag. So small. Anyway here's the bigger one that's definitely a dicot. Image

Ben Goudge, Berrybob liked this
By murrkywaters
Got some more poking their heads out today. Little green whisps.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By bleuAylien
murrkywaters wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:43 am Update- the good, and the bad.
Bad news first. I spilled that tray of seeds while rearranging.
Good news! I got a east coast style bog for plants that require dormancy. With that order were 3 more assorted seed packs. I sowed each pack in a different container. Let the games commence!Image

dang nice photo!
Could you describe your setup for growing seeds? I ordered the variety pack as well, and would like to setup a similar setup as your photos. Are you watering from the top of the soil? or from under with holes in tray? Average temp? Sorry my Q's dont relate to guessing the plants, im not that experienced yet. Still absorbing as much info as a can
By murrkywaters
My setup for seeds is more or less the same as my setup for adult plants. I'm fortunate enough to have space for an indoor tent where I can have good airflow and plenty of humidity. It helps to have the airflow to avoid mold, but many people have good results bagging the seeds. There'll be a good amount of trial and error, and I still am learning myself. The nice thing is you can get seeds for cheap. Sundews are a great place to start for seed grown plants.

By murrkywaters
A few mystery flower stalks are popping up. They're quite small. My money is on some sort of orchid.
ImageImage

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Supply the air fare and lodging and I will be ther[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!