FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan_
Hello everyone,

Does anyone here live in N.C with private land that has Drosera capillaris on the property and has collected seed from them?

Is this even legal to do if it's private land?

You can get D.brevifolia seed from BCP from Hampstead N.C but why haven't I seen D.capillaris seed from N.C anywhere being sold??

Regards,
Jonathan
By ChefDean
If you own the property, or have permission from the property owner, it's 100% legal to gather seeds from a population of plants on private property. Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to collect seed from our own plants.
MikeB liked this
By Bixtor36
Jonathan_ wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:44 am Hello everyone,

Does anyone here live in N.C with private land that has Drosera capillaris on the property and has collected seed from them?

You can get D.brevifolia seed from BCP from Hampstead N.C but why haven't I seen D.capillaris seed from N.C anywhere being sold??

Regards,
Jonathan
Also interested :)

I used to live in Raleigh and spent a lot of time in the Wilmington area. Looking for an excuse to hang out down that way again!

It is a little ironic to get NC-originated plant seeds from the Czech Republic :lol:
By Adriana
I looked it up, because it's in interesting question! If an Osprey makes a nest on your land, you can't disturb it even though it's your property. But plants are different, this is from Fish and Wildlife site:

Why aren’t endangered plants protected from taking on private lands?

Endangered plants on private lands can be taken without penalty (unless a State law prohibits such taking), but this is not the case for endangered animals that are protected from taking on both public and private lands. Why the difference?

Federal and State wildlife laws in the United States have their origins in old English common law where the King and Parliament owned the wild animals and prescribed the ways that ordinary citizens could harvest them on all lands, public or private. Conversely, plants were considered to be a part of the land on which they grew, and thus plants on private lands were treated as the owner’s private property. This ownership difference has been carried forward in the different ways that plants and animals are protected in the Endangered Species Act.
Matt, evenwind, ChefDean liked this
By evenwind
There's a guy on Ebay whose offering what sounds like a shovelful of capillaris from his backyard in Hastings, Fl. So apparently that's legal. I had wondered.
By Jonathan_
Bixtor36 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Regards,
Jonathan

I used to live in Raleigh and spent a lot of time in the Wilmington area. Looking for an excuse to hang out down that way again!

It is a little ironic to get NC-originated plant seeds from the Czech Republic :lol:
Perhaps you could get ahold of the Government in Wilmington N.C and ask for special permission for LEGAL seed collection in the Green Swamp or something? Or if you had private land that had some. I would definitely buy some seed of D.capillaris from you if they said "yes" I have sent an email out to them asking if in the future I could do this, but got no response. Maybe a local like yourself might have better luck? I don't want to get into any hot water though.
By MikeB
Jonathan_ wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:44 amwhy haven't I seen D.capillaris seed from N.C anywhere being sold??
Likely because many people just don't think much about the local Drosera capillaris population. The little red sundews are like weeds, popping up everywhere in the southeastern part of the state where conditions are even halfway acceptable for carnivorous plants. Like sandspurs or dandelions, the sundews are just there.
By Bixtor36
Jonathan_ wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:05 pm
Bixtor36 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:54 pm

Regards,
Jonathan

Perhaps you could get ahold of the Government in Wilmington N.C and ask for special permission for LEGAL seed collection in the Green Swamp or something? Or if you had private land that had some. I would definitely buy some seed of D.capillaris from you if they said "yes" I have sent an email out to them asking if in the future I could do this, but got no response. Maybe a local like yourself might have better luck? I don't want to get into any hot water though.
Could be worth a shot... I had looked into it in the past, but stopped short of reaching out. From what I found online, they typically don't grant approval for personal interest, just "official research" or educational purposes. Maybe we could make a case for one of those? :)
By Jonathan_
Hello,
@Bixtor36

I sent you a friend request :) how would we go about making a case? I would like to see if they can survive the BC winters and propogate them to share with some of my other CP buddies. My search for D.capillaris seed online from N.C has turned up nill. I see capillaris from places like Florida or Texas but never NC! Would be nice to get these into the hands of other CP growers and would probably be listed as "rare" because no one that I know of has seed or the plants themselves.
By Bixtor36
I have plants from seed I've collected in the area many years ago, but I haven't kept them separated from other capillaries, unfortunately, so they've mixed.

Best way to make a case would to make it as official as possible. If we could tie it to some kind of science experiment or educational experience it could give us a chance for approval. I believe there is a form online for the permit application.
Hello!

I also just started growing this plant. Can we dis[…]

Hey all, just got my order in today and figured I'[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!