FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By mhal408
hi, i am curious, it is okay for CP to digest a venomous/poisonous insects? in particular a Tomcat ant (paederus littoralis) because i noticed they have been near my CP, so far ive seen 2 of them, one was hanging out near my water tray and the other was near wet rockwools with seedlings in it. i fed the second one to my drosera yesterday and just found out that this insect is rather dangerous although the coloured stripes warned me not to touch them directly.

apparently there was an outbreak of this species back then in south east asia.
By uxleumas
mhal408 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:20 am hi, i am curious, it is okay for CP to digest a venomous/poisonous insects? in particular a Tomcat ant (paederus littoralis) because i noticed they have been near my CP, so far ive seen 2 of them, one was hanging out near my water tray and the other was near wet rockwools with seedlings in it. i fed the second one to my drosera yesterday and just found out that this insect is rather dangerous although the coloured stripes warned me not to touch them directly.

apparently there was an outbreak of this species back then in south east asia.
yea they're fine. just a few days ago someone's plant somwhere on the fourm caught a black widdow. as long as they don't eat the plant it should be okay
By mhal408
yep just checked this morning and drosera still fine but the insect is gone probably due to heavy rain yesterday. i was worried because the insect "blood" is poisonous, said to be more potent than cobra venom. tbh i worry more of my family wellbeing than the CP as of now :shock:
By murrkywaters
Worst case scenario the trap rots, but predatory insects seem to give a little extra boost. At least according to anecdotal reports. Perhaps they bio accumulate some helpful nutrients. Size seems to be a bigger factor in rotting the traps. Drosera tend to handle small prey best. FWIW the pitcher I gave the widow to is fine. It looks rough because it developed in less than ideal lighting conditions, but I see no evidence of detrimental effects. Well see in a week and a half how well it's doing.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

By mhal408
murrkywaters wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:33 am Worst case scenario the trap rots, but predatory insects seem to give a little extra boost. At least according to anecdotal reports. Perhaps they bio accumulate some helpful nutrients. Size seems to be a bigger factor in rotting the traps. Drosera tend to handle small prey best. FWIW the pitcher I gave the widow to is fine. It looks rough because it developed in less than ideal lighting conditions, but I see no evidence of detrimental effects. Well see in a week and a half how well it's doing.

oh wow, here i thought drosera might handle bigger insect better than a flytrap. i feed it to my drosera because i got the plant for free :lol:

my nep is still developing its pitcher since it loses 2 pitchers from shipping shock. anyway please do update your nep :D

Nice cat btw.
Attachments:
IMG_20200930_114842669_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20200930_114842669_HDR~2.jpg (522.24 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
By MikeB
mhal408 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:21 ami was worried because the insect "blood" is poisonous, said to be more potent than cobra venom.
"Poisonous to animals" and "poisonous to plants" are two very different things.
By murrkywaters

mhal408 wrote:

my nep is still developing its pitcher since it loses 2 pitchers from shipping shock. anyway please do update your nep :D

Nice cat btw.
Thanks!

My nep is still very small so I gave it to a sarracenia, but it should be just fine.

By mhal408
murrkywaters wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:48 pm The plant is still thriving. Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
damn those plants looks good. i dont know why but sarracenia is so expensive over here compared to other CP.
By murrkywaters
mhal408 wrote:

damn those plants looks good. i dont know why but sarracenia is so expensive over here compared to other CP.
Where are you? I used to live in an area where S. purpurea was native, but exceedingly rare in the wild. It's what got me into the hobby, and I think its kinda a shame for people to not have access to such a wonderful plant.

By mhal408
murrkywaters wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:20 pm
mhal408 wrote:

Where are you? I used to live in an area where S. purpurea was native, but exceedingly rare in the wild. It's what got me into the hobby, and I think its kinda a shame for people to not have access to such a wonderful plant.

im from Indonesia, the only CP i know native here is nepenthes. sundews are easy to grow here, but saraccenia is a bit rarer than others.

also yes i started CP hobby for similar reason as you, not many people around me are aware of CP, they were like "what? a plant that eat insect?" its funny :D . so my mission is to propagate my own CP and offer it to people that is interested in them. but i guess it will take sometimes, so far only sundews has flowered. my 2 vft doesnt seems to be splitting yet.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!