FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Zach Ledy
Hello everyone! I was looking at Sarracenia Minor on the carnivorous plant nursery website, and I noticed that it said the S. Minor could be grown in zones 5-9. Is this accurate? Most of the information online says that zone 6 should be the minimum for S. Minor.

https://carnivorousplantnursery.com/col ... 8762650687
By Huntsmanshorn
Zach Ledy wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:19 pm Hello everyone! I was looking at Sarracenia Minor on the carnivorous plant nursery website, and I noticed that it said the S. Minor could be grown in zones 5-9. Is this accurate? Most of the information online says that zone 6 should be the minimum for S. Minor.
In ground and heavily mulched? Most likely be fine. In a pot just sitting in your yard? No way.
By Zach Ledy
Nice to see you again sanguinearocks101! Would the covered porch work for protection from the cold? Or would the garage work better?
By Apollyon
You'll be wanting to keep them above freezing if possible. These guys grow in the southeast. We have Sarracenia Minor growing out here in Central Florida where temps rarely get under 39 degrees at the coldest point. If you can do like an unheated garage or something, that'd be good. Some place to protect it from the extreme cold though. Mixed reviews on survivability, I saw a guy claim he had his VFTs surviving straight frost and had pics of frozen plants but I wouldn't risk it.
By twitcher
While I don't know sarracenia, we have a wild colony that's been growing here for most of the past century, maybe longer. I get to see them when I visit a local park (won't disclose where to preserve the colony) 20 miles away. Don't know the ID, but it is a red one. While our zone has been warming up, most of that century has us a solid zone 5. Accompanied by at least one variety of Drosera which I have not had a chance to ID.
By MikeB
In the wild, Sarracenia minor's range just reaches into southeastern North Carolina, zones 7b and 8a. I expect that zone 5 would be way too cold unless the plant was heavily mulched.
By Zach Ledy
Thanks for your help everyone! If I get a Sarracenia Minor, I will just put it in the garage with the Dionea. I suspected that zone 5 was probably too much for S. Minor, Since frost comes in two weeks. :o That won't stop me from growing southern carnivorous plants though! :D
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!